Genesis GV Forums banner

All Known Genesis GV80 Issues and Complaints

56K views 120 replies 59 participants last post by  Kevin Ellison 
#1 ·
Share complaints and discuss all related problems with your Genesis GV80 here.

#12 ·
Anyone have radio cutting out? While driving, I often experience 2 of the four speakers(always fronts) cutting out, while the back ones are still operating...it lasts for a good 10 seconds and then comes back on....If I sit in my driveway it doesn't happen, so it must have something to do with the GV moving...If it were the satelite, I'd think the car would go completely quiet.
2nd day dring it!!

#22 ·
My main issue is the blind spot alert is signaled (in the side view mirror and dash) when a car is a full car length behind me...that’s too far. And because the alert is triggered , the car will buzz and warn as though I’m going hit something even though I’m safely changing lanes, which is distracting and a false alarm. I’ve driven many cars with blind spot alert , and never had one trigger unless a car was really in your blind spot. As far as I can tell, this is not configurable.

#23 ·
If its not configurable, then I'm sure it can eventually. If Adaptive Cruise Control has that option (which it does on many new cars) then I can't imagine it being that hard to implement here.
Try reaching out to Genesis Corporate and see what they say if you haven't already. Keep us posted if you do.

#31 ·
Anyone have problem or heard of problems with "engine control computer"? Purchased a 2021 GV-80 3.5T Prestige - Gold Coast Silver. At 5,155 miles had to have towed to Genesis dealer. Currently in dealer shop, 16 days and counting. Local Techs and Genesis headquarters stated this "engine control computer complete failure" is a first known failure identified with this control system. However, they're still not sure this is the real issue. Genesis technical has contacted me for further information on symptoms - rough idle, high level of engine vibration, no power, max speed approx. 15 mph. Parts on backorder, soonest parts delivery is an additional 30 days, maybe.

Loved the GV-80, but now have long-term trust/reliability concerns. Anyone else?

#61 ·
Anyone have problem or heard of problems with "engine control computer"? Purchased a 2021 GV-80 3.5T Prestige - Gold Coast Silver. At 5,155 miles had to have towed to Genesis dealer. Currently in dealer shop, 16 days and counting. Local Techs and Genesis headquarters stated this "engine control computer complete failure" is a first known failure identified with this control system. However, they're still not sure this is the real issue. Genesis technical has contacted me for further information on symptoms - rough idle, high level of engine vibration, no power, max speed approx. 15 mph. Parts on backorder, soonest parts delivery is an additional 30 days, maybe.

Loved the GV-80, but now have long-term trust/reliability concerns. Anyone else?
Update on our GV-80 "engine control Computer" issue:
After breaking down in late April 2021 with 5,155 miles, several repair attempts, in-person visits from Genesis Engineering (both U.S. and South Korean), it was decided that they did not know what was causing the issue with our 2021 3.5 Prestige GV-80. They voluntarily placed the vehicle in the State Lemon Law program, and consented to replace it at no cost to us. We were due delivery in June of a replacement 2021 3.5 Prestige GV-80. Due to the parts, COVID and delivery chain issues, we are now scheduled to get our replacement vehicle in March 2022. It will be a 2022. With the exception of the delivery delays, Hyundai / Genesis has been very good to work with, including providing us a new GV-80 base model to drive for the past 8 months.

#55 ·
I have the exact same problem. From day 1 my GV80 will not find anything when I enter an actual address. But if I know the name of of the place and type it into the search, the navigation finds it almost every time. Odder still is that once I find it, and then again enter the address instead of the name, it says nothing found. **** frustrating and I'm finding myself using my iPhone instead of the car.

#56 ·
I have the exact same problem. From day 1 my GV80 will not find anything when I enter an actual address. But if I know the name of of the place and type it into the search, the navigation finds it almost every time. Odder still is that once I find it, and then again enter the address instead of the name, it says nothing found. **** frustrating and I'm finding myself using my iPhone instead of the car.

#57 ·
Hey everyone driving a GV80 Prestige trim in beautifiul NC seem to have had a problem that I am hearing quite a few owners are experiencing. Rear Differential issues, actually had to get mine replaced as have many others.. Have read on other forums that a lot of folks are going thru this. Humming noise when you press gas on or off low speeds, problem is how they are handling parts. Had my car in shop for 3 weeks! Don't leave your GV80 with dealer until they tell you they have parts in hands! Korea to CA ship time on parts was pretty quick about a week . Once in CA warehouse that's where the problem got worse. CA has a standard way to ship parts to East coast instead of shipping 2-3 days like a German brand would do on a new model they put the parts on a truck that took 8 days to get to dealer. Not the way to build a brand ! With all that said I still think the vehicle is outstanding and I absolutely love it! It's the internal process of Genesis that has some kinks. Hope they can get there act together Genesis cars are really well designed.

#105 ·
Hi JCGV80,
I saw your post dating back to SEP 29, 2021 regarding the replacement of your differential. I believe I have the same issue with my 2021 GV80 3.5T Prestige. I'm looking to speak with another 2021 GV80 owner about their experience with this issue. As a new member, I am unable to send you a private message. Would you be willing to have a phone conversation?
Thanks,
RgrrA2021

#60 ·
Common problem. We saw this happen twice on a 2,700+ mile road trip. Checked diagnostics via ap than when we were in motel, via web site. Spoke with Genesis Connect they ran diagnostics and said no issues. Kept driving and it went off after gassing up again. Had the GV in for service last week, had them check error codes, both times was a sensor, same one. Techs couldn't find any issues. Has not happened since. Other forum has several instances of same.

#65 ·
Well, that seems silly - only traffic with Nav? Genesis is assuming that I need NAV every time I drive. My brother has a 2022 Optima Prestige and his traffic appears on the map (no NAV). The 2019 Lincoln I traded in on this GV80 had traffic on the map (no nav). You would think a vehicle that is considered luxury would have features lesser vehicles have.

Not a very good 'feature' - thanks for the reply

#79 ·
My GV80 2.5 T has many software glitches…
Navigation system…always unavailable
Apple CarPlay…won’t connect via cable
Lane change assist…fault message
Font & side sensor falsely detecting when nothing is there
All cameras come on after backing out of parking space and continue to stay on for awhile while driving
Only 4000 miles and wondering if more issues to come
This is my 2nd genesis I’ve owned…Genesis is not a reputable luxury brand…service is substandard and think this brand will struggle to convince buyers to buy Genesis brand….just an over priced Hyundai

#81 ·
My GV80 2.5 T has many software glitches…
All cameras come on after backing out of parking space and continue to stay on for awhile while driving
Only 4000 miles and wondering if more issues to come
This is my 2nd genesis I’ve owned…Genesis is not a reputable luxury brand…service is substandard and think this brand will struggle to convince buyers to buy Genesis brand….just an over priced Hyundai
This may be a GPS issue, I was getting route unavailable but it's working again so perhaps the GPS was unable to link to the car at the time.

Is it plugged into the leftmost plug? it's the only one that connects the phone to the infotainment screen.
Is it an Apple cable? Maybe try that.

Are you putting the blinker to position B and holding it there until the side marker turns green on the dash? If you put the blinker all the way on it doesn't work. If you turn the steering wheel at all it stops it from working.

Look to see if there is a Ford F150 near you. They set the cameras off notoriously.

Cameras are set to work until you get to 9 mph going forward before they turn off.

#86 ·
After about 10K miles I’m getting a front end rattle when driving slow over uneven pavement. (Railroad tracks, pulling in driveway, rough road). Sounds like a cheaply made vehicle after a few years. Not what I paid for.

Was perfectly smooth before that.
Dealership has replaced front end components TWICE, and have been unable to fix the issue. They have said it’s a “known issue” with the GV80.

Not sure what my recourse can be if they can’t fix it?

#87 ·
Are you sure it's in the front end? Sometimes in a car things can echo or seem to be coming from one place when it's actually another. Check your seatbelts, especially behind the driver's seat passenger side. They both have a seatbelt holder to keep the metal part from rattling against the the side panels.