Genesis GV80 Forum | Pricing, Specs & Reviews banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the odds that we will actually see these individual entertainment controls built into the backs of the front seats like in the concept? While its good in theory I can't help but think there is a better way to implement them. Either somewhere in the rear armrest or built into the door panels.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm a big fan of it but highly doubt we'll see it on the GV80 although if offered it would create an experience like what Range Rover attempts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are a lot of things in the original concept that wont make it over to the production model. I highly doubt that center console will run from the front of the front of the vehicle all the way through the rear seats, dividing them either. I do hope that landscape display on the dash survives the process.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Some automakers are resorting to leaving whats essentially tablets made by them in new vehicles with nothing more than a fancy mount.
Smart strategy that's cost effective and adds the right amount of luxury in the form of tech.
Genesis can get away with doing that on more entry-level offerings.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also know that a lot of people aren't big fans of these touch capacitive screens as they can be very finnicky and troublesome to use. If they main advantage over competitors is going to be pricing, its for the best that they new technology as minimalist as possible.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It can vary a lot from my experience, even right down to other touch features like controler pads. Lexus for example has a terrible pad yet you'd expect the complete opposite from them.
Still till this day they haven't improve it, neither with their terrible infotainment UI.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Both Lexus and Acura have gone backwards with these new touch pads, but I've heard mixed impressions of both. Does seem like they are less distracting to use over a touch screen as you can maintain your natural eye sight. They also aren't a cursor style like you would expect.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Both Lexus and Acura have gone backwards with these new touch pads, but I've heard mixed impressions of both. Does seem like they are less distracting to use over a touch screen as you can maintain your natural eye sight. They also aren't a cursor style like you would expect.
I was hoping the LC and LS would change that fact but at this point its more like Lexus is waiting to run out of older touchpads before moving on to a redesign.

Some journalist on the LC's touch pad:

The satnav is utterly, incomprehensibly useless and the touchpad impossible to use. I found myself navigating using my phone, which seemed crazy in a £76,000 car. Maybe it was me being stupid again, or maybe Lexus hasn’t quite shaken off its inner Partridge.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In a few years time all next generation infotainment system will move towards voice and gesture controls. Mercedes new MBUX system already has some of this functionality and it works much better than some of the earlier attempts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I anticipate more wearable technology will become part of it as well.

However, expect to pay a premium if and when it becomes available from an automaker.

Integration of wearables from Apple, Samsung and the like should integrate flawlessly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It will be weird using less touch controls and gestures especially as self driving tech arrives.

Found this image showing what it could be like:

·
Registered
169 Posts
@KenM it will as you get over the learning curve but once you do, there's just no going back. I mean... its an advancement that will save us effort and provide extra convenience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What are the odds that we will actually see these individual entertainment controls built into the backs of the front seats like in the concept? While its good in theory I can't help but think there is a better way to implement them. Either somewhere in the rear armrest or built into the door panels.
This seems like something you'd expect from a high end company to first like a Ranger Rover, Mercedes, BMW, etc. usually they set the bar and the industry follows. But it would be very cool if Genesis took the plunge and did it themselves.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This seems like something you'd expect from a high end company to first like a Ranger Rover, Mercedes, BMW, etc. usually they set the bar and the industry follows. But it would be very cool if Genesis took the plunge and did it themselves.
There might be some potential for it in the next G90 but its not happening in the 2020 G80. Here's the interior:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know distribution was the biggest problem Genesis faced so for all we know these interior upgrades are enough to keep sales going strong enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts