Genesis GV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2021 GV80 3.5T Prestige in Adriatic Blue. It's about 18 months old and is hand washed about every 2 weeks. Never been through a car wash. I had the paint corrected/buffed and ceramic coating applied since the car sits outside most of the time. Before the detailer started, he washed the car (which was pretty dirty from previous couple of rains) and noticed a ton of what look like water stains all over the car, scattered pretty evenly. The hood is worse, though that may be because it's so much more obvious than the sides/back. We assumed it was from water and he hit it pretty hard with a buffer in 2 stages (more coarse and less coarse). Seemed to help quite a bit... until the car was in the sun again and the spots all seemed to come back. It's the weirdest thing and really irritating. He's stumped, too.

Anyone else have a problem like this? I've got a buddy who's a high end car painter, so I'm going to see if he has any ideas. I'd really like to fix this, especially since I'm pretty meticulous about taking care of the car (and way too insecure to have people see stains on it!)

Cheers!
Corey
Austin, TX

· Registered
7 Posts
Just after I purchased my GV80 (exact same model and color as your car) I washed my car while on a long trip to get the road grim off the car. I went to a manual wash stall. The arm above the car that connected to the wash wand leaked. The drops from this leak "stained" the hood of the car. I don't know what chemicals were in the water dripping from car wash connection above the car. The "stains" were more like deposits that looked like clear drops of liquid. The stains were looked like raised clear deposits that adhered to the top of the paint. I spoke to the Genesis dealer. As usual, they were no help and referred me to the clear coat manufacturer. The clear coat manufacturer said to use McGuires car polish. This worked to remove the hardened spots (stains) on the paint. It took several applications, but they came off. I then had to wax the entire hood to blend the shiny spots where I applied the wax to remove the "spots". If the spots had not come off, I am sure it would have been a fight with the clear coat manufacturer to file a warranty claim. This is my experience. It may not apply to your situation as you have already worked with a knowledgeable third party. Good luck.

· Registered
62 Posts
How does the manufacturer, who provides a warranty, brush you off to one of it's suppliers - while under warranty???
I tip my hat to your patience....

Just after I purchased my GV80 (exact same model and color as your car) I washed my car while on a long trip to get the road grim off the car. I went to a manual wash stall. The arm above the car that connected to the wash wand leaked. The drops from this leak "stained" the hood of the car. I don't know what chemicals were in the water dripping from car wash connection above the car. The "stains" were more like deposits that looked like clear drops of liquid. The stains were looked like raised clear deposits that adhered to the top of the paint. I spoke to the Genesis dealer. As usual, they were no help and referred me to the clear coat manufacturer. The clear coat manufacturer said to use McGuires car polish. This worked to remove the hardened spots (stains) on the paint. It took several applications, but they came off. I then had to wax the entire hood to blend the shiny spots where I applied the wax to remove the "spots". If the spots had not come off, I am sure it would have been a fight with the clear coat manufacturer to file a warranty claim. This is my experience. It may not apply to your situation as you have already worked with a knowledgeable third party. Good luck.

· Registered
15 Posts
2023 GV-80 Prestige: After a 14 month wait, my Genesis was delivered with a $600 charge for ceramic coating which was disappointing since I had not requested this dealer-provided add-on; however, ceramic coating is truly amazing. Last fall after driving my GV-80 through 3 heavy rain storms and simply pulling it into the garage, 24 hours later...it was totally dry with no spots what so ever. Now, with snow slush and dirty road spray literally covering the entire vehicle, a $7 'do-it-yourself' wand car wash and the Adriatic Blue paint looks as though it had just been waxed. Will be having my 2005 Jaguar XJ-8 ceramic coated this spring. Better late than never!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, wash.harris. I haven't contacted the dealer yet. I'm going to have a buddy of mine who paints high end restored cars take a look to assess what it could be. I'm thinking it's in the paint as opposed to on the paint, but we'll see. Let me know if, over time, you see any of these spots appear on your Adriatic Blue GV.

· Registered
2021 GV80
4 Posts
But by
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2021 GV80 3.5T Prestige in Adriatic Blue. It's about 18 months old and is hand washed about every 2 weeks. Never been through a car wash. I had the paint corrected/buffed and ceramic coating applied since the car sits outside most of the time. Before the detailer started, he washed the car (which was pretty dirty from previous couple of rains) and noticed a ton of what look like water stains all over the car, scattered pretty evenly. The hood is worse, though that may be because it's so much more obvious than the sides/back. We assumed it was from water and he hit it pretty hard with a buffer in 2 stages (more coarse and less coarse). Seemed to help quite a bit... until the car was in the sun again and the spots all seemed to come back. It's the weirdest thing and really irritating. He's stumped, too.

Anyone else have a problem like this? I've got a buddy who's a high end car painter, so I'm going to see if he has any ideas. I'd really like to fix this, especially since I'm pretty meticulous about taking care of the car (and way too insecure to have people see stains on it!)

Cheers!
Corey
Austin, TX
The story you told us exactly what happened to our 2021 GV80. Only difference is that we have a black not a blue car. I've got many photos of the spots everywhere, but as you and others mentioned the hood is worse. My spots range in size from smaller than a dime to larger than a quarter. I have contacted the clear coat company who said it doesn't sound right and to file a claim and bring it in. I find it rather odd others are having the same issue. We all live in different areas, have different weather, and store the car in different environments. Who would think this of all things would be an issue? Isn't this why we purchased the coating to begin with. Also, our suppliers of the clear coat are most likely different. Anyway, I'll update after the clearer is buffed and/or reapplied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts