Genesis GV Forums banner

Genesis GV80 Hitch / Towing

29K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  MLB007 
#1 ·
Has any one seen whether or not there will be a hitch option for the GV80 from Genesis? Or are we going to have to look for aftermarket options? I know the GV80 isn't designed for hauling big trailers but it'd be nice to have a hitch as an option.

#42 ·
Yes, my window sticker says tow wiring but you still have to buy the harness from the dealer for $150 and the hitch either from the dealer for $405 or Curt brand from eBay for about $150.
The car is rated to tow up to 6,000 lbs which is really good
Correct. They deceive you by listing the harness, but you do have to pay for it. And, if you don’t get one with a hitch, it’ll cost you close to $1000 at dealer. $450ish for the hitch, and $500 install.
I had a local truck place install the Curt hitch. Cost me only $280 for hitch and install. Works great for my bike rack.

#8 ·
I was at my local dealer today - am expecting my GV80 before Christmas (!) . The Parts Dept. quoted me $344.25 for the Hitch and another $127.50 for the Wiring Harness - but this does NOT include labor for installation ...
I'm not very impressed with the Hitch Pic they showed me - I realize it's just a hitch, but I don't want to detract TOO much from the beauty of this car . Has anyone seen any 3rd party options which are price comparable and look better ?

#9 ·
I was at my local dealer today - am expecting my GV80 before Christmas (!) . The Parts Dept. quoted me $344.25 for the Hitch and another $127.50 for the Wiring Harness - but this does NOT include labor for installation ...
I'm not very impressed with the Hitch Pic they showed me - I realize it's just a hitch, but I don't want to detract TOO much from the beauty of this car . Has anyone seen any 3rd party options which are price comparable and look better ?
Here is a pic of my installed trailer hitch with wiring. OEM wiring harness and Curt hitch on ebay for $150

#11 ·
Thanks - It looks pretty nice ! Was the $150 the purchase price of the Hitch & Wiring Harness on Ebay - and what did it cost you to have it installed ? Do you know what the model is of the curt hitch ?
Man, your GV sure is sweet looking !
Just the hitch was 150, and I bought the oem wiring harness for 150 because it was about the same price as aftermarket. I don't know the model numbers but the seller was awesome and there is only one seller for the hitch on eBay. Installation was a ripoff at the dealership 4 hours at 195 per hour
Yah, the car is coming together. I ceramic coated and tinted everything including the taillights. Went to the car stereo shop today for more bass and they were clueless with the car but said the stock system sounds really good.

#19 ·
I was so impressed with the looks of your car that I have been researching Ceramic Coating vs. Diamond (Glass) Coating. Did you consider Diamond Coating and if so, what made you go to Ceramic ?
Thanks -
I never heard of diamond coating, but did briefly look into graphene coating and full car clear bra. I chose ceramic and clear bra on front bumper only because I was balancing price and quality. Also. I ceramic coated the leather interior because my interior looks almost white.
I get a lot of looks now because the car looks sharp and most people are guessing its either a tesla or a bentley. Thinking about powder coating the rims the same color as the car and changing the front hood badge to bentley or something unusual

#22 ·
I agree with your assessment about the time required - I didn't fully explain the quote I received - the guy said 3 - 5 hours of polishing : $ 500 , plus the claybar treatment and 2 layers of "Ceramic Pro" for $1,000 more. He said he's need the car with him for 3 - 4 days . Do you mind my asking which leather protection ceramic product you chose ?
Thanks, JJL

#23 ·
I agree with your assessment about the time required - I didn't fully explain the quote I received - the guy said 3 - 5 hours of polishing : $ 500 , plus the claybar treatment and 2 layers of "Ceramic Pro" for $1,000 more. He said he's need the car with him for 3 - 4 days . Do you mind my asking which leather protection ceramic product you chose ?
Thanks, JJL
Carpro CQuartz 30ml ceramic leather kit on ebay for $60

#26 ·
See my earlier post, I bought the e trailer aftermarket wiring harness (returning same) which is about the same cost as the ORM part BUT the aftermarket unit requires you to splice into the cars tail lights wiring harness, it’s not plug and play. All GV80 are pre wired for towing so there’s a connection point somewhere on the car to allow for the factory hitch wiring pigtail (purchased separately) to be easily connected and then functions correctly with the cars main system and, I suspect as on my Audi, let’s you know for instance if a trailer lights are malfunctioning etc? Question is how and where to purchase this OEM wiring 9 pin pigtail harness since local Genesis Hyundai dealer in Florida seem to be clueless and offer no help.

#34 ·
Purchased the Curt hitch thru etrailer but had to modify it as it hangs down too low. I cut and welded the 2 inch reciever tube up an 1 inch higher and then also moved the safety chain brackets from vertical to horizontal and added a bracket for the 9 pin harness connection. This mod resulted in 15 inch of ground clearence up from 9.5 inches. The Curt hitch in its present configuration therefore, in my opinion, is not usable because the car's departure angle is much too low. I also purchased the factory wiring harness which is the only sensible option, installation is a straight forward process taking about 1/2 hour. I called Curt, they're not interested so I highly recommend using the Genesis hitch instead unless you have the capability to modify.

#46 ·
I asked this in a different thread, but I will ask here again. My 21 GV80 came with a trailer hitch. I think the price on the sticker was $500. But I did not get any wiring. Do you think It was part of the Trailer hitch or is it a different option? Does not make any sense they would put on a hitch with no wiring.
One more question for those that purchased the wiring harness, On my Santa Fe, the wiring harness was just plug and play. You pulled out a plug and stuck the harness plug between the existing plugs. Is this one the same?

#47 ·
There is a wiring harness available for your GV80 through the accessories T6f67 ac100. It is not exactly plug and play, Also, you will have to find a spot to mount the brake controller with this setup. Or, you can get the Curt Echo 51180 bluetooth plug in at your rear 7 pin connector. You just plug it in and download the app to your phone and your done. Transferable to any other vehicle with a 7 pin connector at the rear bumper.

#48 ·
When I asked the dealer if it came with a wiring harness, he told me the hitch was just for bikes and things like that. In the trunk, I found the other part of the hitch where you mount a ball so I had my doubts. So I look at the sticker and they call it a lifestyle hitch and it was 400. I googled it today and found out he was right. The lifestyle hitch is for less than 300 lbs but it was for a Kia, nothing for genesis.. So I guess I don't have a hitch, but it is odd that there would be a place on it to mount the wire harness and chains. I am going too get my ass on the ground and look underneath and see just how big this hitch is.

#50 · (Edited)
it's probably a normal light duty hitch and that's why the harness and chain. The lightest duty hitch (Class 1) is good for 2,000lbs for towing.
The TONGUE WEIGHT limit is 200lbs (on a Class 1, load on the ball) - When pulling a trailer only a fraction of the weight is over the tongue. A bike rack and such is directly over the ball so would fall into the 200lb limit.
Class 1 and 2 use 1.25" tubing and Class 3 and above are 2.00" and much heavier duty.
A "normal SUV" Class 2 hitch is good for pulling up to 3500lbs and has a tongue weight rating of between 200-500lbs based on the car and it's suspension, set by the maker.
That's "probably" what you have based on their mistaked "300lb limit".
My VW Toureg had a Class 3 hitch with a 700lb tongue rating and 8,000lb tow rating.
GV 80 would most certainly pull a trailer with no issues and that is almost certainly good for more than bike racks.
Check to see that it's mounted by 4 pretty big stock chassis bolts (they are easy to mount, unscrew stock bolts, hold hitch up, re-install 4 bolts. 30 minute job without the wiring.

Your dealer is clueless is my guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.