Genesis GV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
I'm still researching the Cover Coat options - Thinking of having the initial polish and coat done professionally, then maintain it myself with off the shelf products (e.g. Nextgen, Mother's CMX). My first discussion generated an estimate of approx $1,500 for 3 hrs of polishing and a 2 layer (Ceramic Pro) Coat. Sound reasonable ?
Was your Clear Bra included in your ceramic coat price - and if not, how much should I expect to pay for that ?
Thanks , JJL
I spent $3k as a package for tinting 10 windows, ceramic coat, and clear bra front bumper only. The factory paint needs paint correction and polishing which always has to be done anytime you do ceramic coat which is why I did not do it myself. I paid $50 on ebay for a bottle of leather ceramic coat and did that myself. I don't think it's possible to do a good ceramic coat with all the prep work in 3 hours, so it sounds like a garbage product.

I agree with your assessment about the time required - I didn't fully explain the quote I received - the guy said 3 - 5 hours of polishing : $ 500 , plus the claybar treatment and 2 layers of "Ceramic Pro" for $1,000 more. He said he's need the car with him for 3 - 4 days . Do you mind my asking which leather protection ceramic product you chose ?
Thanks, JJL

I agree with your assessment about the time required - I didn't fully explain the quote I received - the guy said 3 - 5 hours of polishing : $ 500 , plus the claybar treatment and 2 layers of "Ceramic Pro" for $1,000 more. He said he's need the car with him for 3 - 4 days . Do you mind my asking which leather protection ceramic product you chose ?
Thanks, JJL
Carpro CQuartz 30ml ceramic leather kit on ebay for $60

Here is a pic of my installed trailer hitch with wiring. OEM wiring harness and Curt hitch on ebay for $150
View attachment 1149 View attachment 1150 View attachment 1151
Where did you buy the OEM hitch wring harness? I can't find any place where I can purchase this item and the dealers all say it's unavailable at this time and not sure when it will be. That goes also for genesis parts and accessories.com. Ordered from them and then had it cancelled as they cannot supply either. Also no information anywhere on how to integrate the factory wiring pigtail into the cars tow wiring harness which is pre installed in the GV80. Confusing and aggravating. I've also reached out to Genesis USA, no response.

Where did you buy the OEM hitch wring harness? I can't find any place where I can purchase this item and the dealers all say it's unavailable at this time and not sure when it will be. That goes also for genesis parts and accessories.com. Ordered from them and then had it cancelled as they cannot supply either. Also no information anywhere on how to integrate the factory wiring pigtail into the cars tow wiring harness which is pre installed in the GV80. Confusing and aggravating. I've also reached out to Genesis USA, no response.
Bought the wiring harness from the dealer but if they are out of stock don't worry because Curt makes an aftermarket wiring harness for their aftermarket hitch which is actually less expensive. I have no idea how to install the wiring harness but I am sure there are trailer companies or uhaul that can install them reasonably priced.

See my earlier post, I bought the e trailer aftermarket wiring harness (returning same) which is about the same cost as the ORM part BUT the aftermarket unit requires you to splice into the cars tail lights wiring harness, it’s not plug and play. All GV80 are pre wired for towing so there’s a connection point somewhere on the car to allow for the factory hitch wiring pigtail (purchased separately) to be easily connected and then functions correctly with the cars main system and, I suspect as on my Audi, let’s you know for instance if a trailer lights are malfunctioning etc? Question is how and where to purchase this OEM wiring 9 pin pigtail harness since local Genesis Hyundai dealer in Florida seem to be clueless and offer no help.

Has any one seen whether or not there will be a hitch option for the GV80 from Genesis? Or are we going to have to look for aftermarket options? I know the GV80 isn't designed for hauling big trailers but it'd be nice to have a hitch as an option.
Yes there’s a factory option for a hitch. It has a $500 MSRP. If you review inventory you’ll find a few vehicles out there that have a factory hitch installed. Not common but there are some. Also check in official genesis accessory site

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Yes there’s a factory option for a hitch. It has a $500 MSRP. If you review inventory you’ll find a few vehicles out there that have a factory hitch installed. Not common but there are some. Also check in official genesis accessory site
Ok great! that's good to know. Did you get one on yours?

Yes, I removed the cheap plastic letters/badging. Looks much cleaner. Also added tint, clear bra, window deflectors, ceramic coat for paint and leather and a performance chip.
May I ask where you got your ECU chip from, how much you paid for it, and whether the manufacturer has a tune specific for the 2.5T single turbo block running on 92+ octane? I’d be interested in doing it only if the manufacturer sells a handheld module that lets me de-tune it myself via the OBD2 port. Otherwise, I’d be concerned about the possible risk of voiding my Genesis warranty. Thanks.

That was a good move. When I called the dealer they are quoting for the hitch alone $450 and install to be $300-450 depending on if they install the wiring harness. They also said it may need a different bumper that has a cut-out for the hitch which seems crazy to me.

Has anyone had success with the Curt hitch and having a trailer install shop do it? I've called around and the price estimates have a big range for the install.
Before I bought my GV80, I negotiated with my dealer to install my factory hitch (but not the wiring harness, since they didn’t have it in stock) for $500, inclusive of sales tax. That included the part PLUS labor from a Genesis service technician.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
That was a good move. When I called the dealer they are quoting for the hitch alone $450 and install to be $300-450 depending on if they install the wiring harness. They also said it may need a different bumper that has a cut-out for the hitch which seems crazy to me.

Has anyone had success with the Curt hitch and having a trailer install shop do it? I've called around and the price estimates have a big range for the install.
Welcome @Matt! Interesting, that's the first I'm hearing about getting a different bumper for the hitch.

Same here - Although I have seen with other manufacturers that they sometimes replace part of the rear bumper with a special clip-in piece to accomodate a hitch. I've not done extensive research on the GV80 approach though.

See my earlier post, I bought the e trailer aftermarket wiring harness (returning same) which is about the same cost as the ORM part BUT the aftermarket unit requires you to splice into the cars tail lights wiring harness, it’s not plug and play. All GV80 are pre wired for towing so there’s a connection point somewhere on the car to allow for the factory hitch wiring pigtail (purchased separately) to be easily connected and then functions correctly with the cars main system and, I suspect as on my Audi, let’s you know for instance if a trailer lights are malfunctioning etc? Question is how and where to purchase this OEM wiring 9 pin pigtail harness since local Genesis Hyundai dealer in Florida seem to be clueless and offer no help.
Purchased the Curt hitch thru etrailer but had to modify it as it hangs down too low. I cut and welded the 2 inch reciever tube up an 1 inch higher and then also moved the safety chain brackets from vertical to horizontal and added a bracket for the 9 pin harness connection. This mod resulted in 15 inch of ground clearence up from 9.5 inches. The Curt hitch in its present configuration therefore, in my opinion, is not usable because the car's departure angle is much too low. I also purchased the factory wiring harness which is the only sensible option, installation is a straight forward process taking about 1/2 hour. I called Curt, they're not interested so I highly recommend using the Genesis hitch instead unless you have the capability to modify.

@Matt from this installation video of the Curt 13464 hitch for the Genesis GV80, it sure seems to be the best option yet.

And of course our very own @zvakanaka can vouch for it.
Purchased the Curt hitch thru etrailer but had to modify it as it hangs down too low. I cut and welded the 2 inch reciever tube up an 1 inch higher and then also moved the safety chain brackets from vertical to horizontal and added a bracket for the 9 pin harness connection. This mod resulted in 15 inch of ground clearence up from 9.5 inches. The Curt hitch in its present configuration therefore, in my opinion, is not usable because the car's departure angle is much too low. I also purchased the factory wiring harness which is the only sensible option, installation is a straight forward process taking about 1/2 hour. I called Curt, they're not interested so I highly recommend using the Genesis hitch instead unless you have the capability to modify.

Thanks for the tip, I got the curt hitch and had it installed at a local tow hitch shop and they were able to do it for $425 for the hitch and installation. I’m very happy with it and glad that I didn’t go through the dealership.

@Matt from this installation video of the Curt 13464 hitch for the Genesis GV80, it sure seems to be the best option yet.

And of course our very own @zvakanaka can vouch for it.

I recently purchased an after-market hitch and wiring harness online (Curt #13484 $205 Class 3 trailer hitch from AutoAccessoriesGarage.com, Curt #59496 $36 wiring harness from Zorro.com), and had them both installed by capable repair shop for $386. The hitch looks to have low ground clearance, but I've been towing about a month now with no problems. The harness is installed by removing the rear tail light assembly and patching in to the existing wires. I've experienced no problems thus far.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.