Genesis GV80 Forum | Pricing, Specs & Reviews banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone performed their own Oil & Filter Change on the GV80 ? My GV80 has 1,300 miles and I'd rather not wait until the factory recommended 7K or 10K miles on this engine just having been broken in. Thoughts ?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Why not wait till the factory recommended service interval?
Its very common these days that cars don't require nearly as much servicing as they used to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it might be a little "overkill" , but even with the new higher precision engines and machining, I'm prepared to make the extra investment to remove any potential metal fillings which might exist from the breakin process. I mean what is $75 - 100 when I just spent $72K ...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Has anyone performed their own Oil & Filter Change on the GV80 ? My GV80 has 1,300 miles and I'd rather not wait until the factory recommended 7K or 10K miles on this engine just having been broken in. Thoughts ?
Maybe it's just me but I'm going to wait for the recommended oil change intervals. Modern engines are machined much better than engines from decades ago. Plus synthetic oils protect much much better. I'm assuming Genesis uses Mobil 1 Synthetic?? Does anyone know for sure??

·
Registered
242 Posts
I know it might be a little "overkill" , but even with the new higher precision engines and machining, I'm prepared to make the extra investment to remove any potential metal fillings which might exist from the breakin process. I mean what is $75 - 100 when I just spent $72K ...
Is the recommended oil change interval at 7K or 10K?
Does Genesis use Mobile 1 Synthetic?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seem to recall that its either 8K otr 10K and I'm also mystified why not Mobil 1. . . During the 3 year concierge period, I'm thinking I'll let the dealer use what they choose.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I seem to recall that its either 8K otr 10K and I'm also mystified why not Mobil 1. . . During the 3 year concierge period, I'm thinking I'll let the dealer use what they choose.
That's my intention too, just let them use what they choose and once that period is over I'll switch to Mobile 1 Synthetic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am undecided on what to do. I agree with you that extra oil changes are a good idea.

My experience comes from BMW which seem to be engineered to last long enough to make it through warranty. But the plastic parts inside seem to fail afterwards and can be very expensive to correct. The GV80 has a new motor so only time will tell on reliability. If wanting to keep beyond 5 years, then extra oil changes can only be a good thing. Although I typically plan on keeping a vehicle for long term, gas engines may be obsolete 5 years from now.

I just want to see how difficult the oil change is. I do really like the fact that it has an oil dipstick which is becoming less common. I actually dont know where the filter is and if the oil has to be drained from bottom or can be sucked out from the top.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am undecided on what to do. I agree with you that extra oil changes are a good idea.

My experience comes from BMW which seem to be engineered to last long enough to make it through warranty. But the plastic parts inside seem to fail afterwards and can be very expensive to correct. The GV80 has a new motor so only time will tell on reliability. If wanting to keep beyond 5 years, then extra oil changes can only be a good thing. Although I typically plan on keeping a vehicle for long term, gas engines may be obsolete 5 years from now.

I just want to see how difficult the oil change is. I do really like the fact that it has an oil dipstick which is becoming less common. I actually dont know where the filter is and if the oil has to be drained from bottom or can be sucked out from the top.
Funny thing is many from the auto industry believe the ICM will continue to live on but in smaller displacement with either superchargers and or turbo chargers for decades yet. They could be wrong, time will tell.
Another concept is a small ICM to constantly charge a small battery that propels the electric vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Funny thing is many from the auto industry believe the ICM will continue to live on but in smaller displacement with either superchargers and or turbo chargers for decades yet. They could be wrong, time will tell.
Another concept is a small ICM to constantly charge a small battery that propels the electric vehicle.
Nobody knows for sure but times are a changing. One of my GV80 purchase concerns was that next year they come out with a GV80 hybrid (similar to BMW 45e). Sales told me that Genesis is skipping hybrid and going directly to electric only. I dont think infrastructure is ready (at least where I live) for electric only - but in five years - maybe.

I do think that ICM will be around for a lot more that 5 years but it could be a high gas consumption SUV like the GV80 may be worthless. Which gets back to the original point of is it worth to do extra oil changes to extend life.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nobody knows for sure but times are a changing. One of my GV80 purchase concerns was that next year they come out with a GV80 hybrid (similar to BMW 45e). Sales told me that Genesis is skipping hybrid and going directly to electric only. I dont think infrastructure is ready (at least where I live) for electric only - but in five years - maybe.

I do think that ICM will be around for a lot more that 5 years but it could be a high gas consumption SUV like the GV80 may be worthless. Which gets back to the original point of is it worth to do extra oil changes to extend life.
I agree, time will tell.
I was reading an article recently as you mentioned the electrical infrastructure nationwide is nowhere close to handling a majority of EV autos. Also many drivers don't have garages, park on streets, ect. Can't have electrical cords all over sidewalks and parking lots so EV's are not realistic with a certain percentage of the population. Also if the US suddenly had a majority of vehicles that were plugging in our grid wouldn't be able to handle it, not even close. The articles I've read could be wrong but their predictions were that it'll be decades before the majority of vehicles are EV.

So your GV80 will have much of its value in 5 years so we need to stay on top of the oil changes!

·
Registered
242 Posts
And then there's this👇
Is synthetic fuel the savior of internal combustion? Porsche thinks so. An executive recently told British car magazine Evo that cars running on synthetic fuel could be as clean as EVs.
Synthetic fuels will deliver an 85% reduction in carbon emissions, Dr. Frank Walliser, Porsche vice president of GT cars and motorsport, said at the launch of the 2022 911 GT3. That will equal lower "well to wheels" emissions than an electric car, once emissions related to manufacturing are factored in, he said.

A synthetic fuel should be ready for testing in 2022, Walliser said, adding that this fuel could be used in all of Porsche's current internal-combustion engines without modifications.
That fuel will come from a pilot plant in Chile named Haru Oni. Announced in late 2020, it's being overseen by a consortium that includes Porsche and fellow German firm Siemens. The plant will use wind-generated electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen will then be combined with carbon dioxide from the air to produce methanol, which in turn can be used to create synthetic gasoline, diesel, or kerosene aviation fuel.

1967 Porsche 911 S Targa restored by Porsche Classic Factory Restoration
1967 Porsche 911 S Targa restored by Porsche Classic Factory Restoration

Porsche previously said the plant would produce 130,000 liters (34,340 gallons) of fuel by 2022, ramping up to 55 million liters per year by 2024, and 550 million liters per year by 2026. Approximately 40% of the fuel produced will be gasoline, of which Porsche will be the primary consumer initially.
In addition to new cars, Porsche sees synthetic fuel as a way to keep classic cars on the road as supplies of conventional gasoline dry up. Keep in mind that around 70% of all Porsches ever made are still on the road.
Synthetic fuels have been discussed for years, and while Audi has made small amounts of synthetic diesel, so far no company has managed to produce them on a commercial scale. Even if the production process can be scaled up, cost may be an issue. In a 2020 Hagerty interview, Porsche CEO Oliver Blume said synthetic fuel costs about $10 per liter, equivalent to about $37 per gallon. Blume said researchers were working on reducing the cost to $2 per liter, but that would still make synthetic fuel very expensive compared to today's gasoline.
Despite the obstacles, Porsche isn't the only automaker investigating synthetic fuels. BMW invested in startup Prometheus Fuels last year, and McLaren is expected to start testing synthetic fuels in 2022.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts