Genesis GV80 Forum | Pricing, Specs & Reviews banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned three MDX's; 01, 05, and currently have a 10. I've always liked the SH-AWD ride, and have been on autopilot toward the purchase of the 2022. However, the GV80 now has my attention, and may carry the day. I have yet to test drive either, so who knows. My intention is to go with the top trim level of whichever I choose.
My X's have had their share of issues over the years, the 01 tranny and the paint literally falling off of the 10, to mention a couple. The fit and finish is "luxury light", and the warranty is average at best. Having said that, it's still a very nice vehicle, and Acura has up it's luxury game some with the 2022. My biggest pre test drive concern being what appears to be a swing and a miss with the touch pad interface.
On the other hand, I have no experience with Genesis, other than a friend who owns a G80 and is absolutely smitten with the thing. I plan to take a lot of long road trips with the next SUV, and am very focused on seating comfort, handling, ride comfort, and road noise. I have no use for third row seating, for which there is no escape with the MDX, nor do I have any use for 22 inch wheels, for which there is no escape with the top trim on the GV80. The GV80 warranty is a big plus, but their relatively sparse dealer network may make it a PIA to get convenient service.
I plan to hold onto the vehicle for 8-10 years. Which means the way things are headed, this will likely be my last non-hybrid/EV SUV purchase. So, do I stick with the same old same old? Or take a chance on the intriguing upstart?
I tend to think that I can't really go wrong with either vehicle.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Welcome @gundalow

Would you be okay with letting go of all the sportiness that comes with a top spec MDX for the more calm and luxurious GV80? If driving dynamics matter a lot to you, then I think that's a good place to start. Have you started looking around for models you can test drive?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When we purchased our current MDX, it was the more sporty ride that swayed both my wife and myself toward it vs a Lexus. Given what Ive read about the new X, as well as the GV80, the Genesis is more of a true luxury boat. I have also read that the GV80 has a tendency to bottom out its trailer hitch under some conditions. That is something that has never happened in any MDX I've owned. I tow a 5,000 lbs. boat/trailer on occasion, and am concerned as to whether or not the GV80 will be dragging it's rear end around under the tongue weight.
I like all of the tech in the GV80, but wonder if I will ever use some or even much of it. The safety gear is also great (love that blind side camera in the instrument cluster) but the X also has a very good package. Smart Park is pretty cool too, but whereas I've been parking my own car for over 50 years, I suspect I can just keep doing so without much fanfare.
Although I have yet to test drive either, unless the GV80 is the clear preference, I suspect I may default to the X once again, and see how the GV80 gets throuigh it's maiden year, and further into maturity, before taking another look.

·
Registered
Current: 2018 Hyundai Sonata, Coming: 2021 Genesis Gv80 Prestige Alta White Dune
68 Posts
When we purchased our current MDX, it was the more sporty ride that swayed both my wife and myself toward it vs a Lexus. Given what Ive read about the new X, as well as the GV80, the Genesis is more of a true luxury boat. I have also read that the GV80 has a tendency to bottom out its trailer hitch under some conditions. That is something that has never happened in any MDX I've owned. I tow a 5,000 lbs. boat/trailer on occasion, and am concerned as to whether or not the GV80 will be dragging it's rear end around under the tongue weight.
I like all of the tech in the GV80, but wonder if I will ever use some or even much of it. The safety gear is also great (love that blind side camera in the instrument cluster) but the X also has a very good package. Smart Park is pretty cool too, but whereas I've been parking my own car for over 50 years, I suspect I can just keep doing so without much fanfare.
Although I have yet to test drive either, unless the GV80 is the clear preference, I suspect I may default to the X once again, and see how the GV80 gets throuigh it's maiden year, and further into maturity, before taking another look.
I think you should get the gv80. Superior in every way to the 2022 MDX. Doesn’t match the quality of my Gv80.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you should get the gv80. Superior in every way to the 2022 MDX. Doesn’t match the quality of my Gv80.
I've owned three MDX's; 01, 05, and currently have a 10. I've always liked the SH-AWD ride, and have been on autopilot toward the purchase of the 2022. However, the GV80 now has my attention, and may carry the day. I have yet to test drive either, so who knows. My intention is to go with the top trim level of whichever I choose.
My X's have had their share of issues over the years, the 01 tranny and the paint literally falling off of the 10, to mention a couple. The fit and finish is "luxury light", and the warranty is average at best. Having said that, it's still a very nice vehicle, and Acura has up it's luxury game some with the 2022. My biggest pre test drive concern being what appears to be a swing and a miss with the touch pad interface.
On the other hand, I have no experience with Genesis, other than a friend who owns a G80 and is absolutely smitten with the thing. I plan to take a lot of long road trips with the next SUV, and am very focused on seating comfort, handling, ride comfort, and road noise. I have no use for third row seating, for which there is no escape with the MDX, nor do I have any use for 22 inch wheels, for which there is no escape with the top trim on the GV80. The GV80 warranty is a big plus, but their relatively sparse dealer network may make it a PIA to get convenient service.
I plan to hold onto the vehicle for 8-10 years. Which means the way things are headed, this will likely be my last non-hybrid/EV SUV purchase. So, do I stick with the same old same old? Or take a chance on the intriguing upstart?
I tend to think that I can't really go wrong with either vehicle.
I am somewhat in the same boat. I currently have a 17 MDX Sport Hybrid and have had several Acura's. The GV80 is impressive but may not meet my needs as I live in a snow ridden and hilly upstate NY area. The X has a great AWD system, especially the fact that it is primarily driven by the front wheels until slippage is detected. The rear wheel activation is very quick and therefore lends itself to high level of directional stability (very important ascending slippery hills). The GV80 AWD is principally rear wheel driven and may be prone to fish tailing climbing snowy hills before transferring torque to the front wheels. The transfer has to be extremely fast or directional stability could be compromised. I had a truck with AWD somewhat similar to the GV80. Once i was ascending a slick hill, I fish tailed in the opposite lane before torque transferred to the front, not good.

Maintenance is another issue. Hyundai/Genesis as evidenced by the GV80 Owners Manual just about makes all owners fit in the Severe Conditions-really crazy. As such 5k oil/filter changes along with several other fluid changes, not even mentioned in the-Normal Conditions criteria. The supposedly free 3yr/36K mile service probably doesn't cover the Severe routine. Down the road , if there is a drivetrain warranty problem (10yr/100K) they may require proof of the enhanced maintenance. On the other hand, the Acura maintenance is very reasonable- no insane severe criteria. I also looked at Hyundai which is even worse with the same Severe Conditions requirements mandating oil/filter changes at a ridiculous 3,700 miles.

About the GV80, if you want the E Lock Differential you have to get the 3.5L along with the Prestige option. Then you get no compact spare, jack and tools. Instead you receive an inflation kit that is worthless if you get a sidewall flat.

I don't like the 22" Prestige wheel as there only a few tire replacement options for this very narrow aspect ratio tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting discussion for me because I'm considering the same two cars. 20 years ago we bought our 2001 MDX in February 2001 from the dealership in St. Petersburg, FL and after 130,000 miles still drive it today. During the first year there was the transmission recall where some plumbing was added to route fluid over one of the gears that was not getting enough. Since then the only other problem after approximately 5 years on the road was an idle control module or some such thing controlling fuel flow. I believe the car was out of warranty then but the part and labor was only a few hundred bucks at the most. Other than that just normal replacement of tires, batteries, timing chain/fuel pump, and minor problems I could fix myself like middle row seat latches. I like my MDX a lot but there are times I'd like a shiny new buggy with all the latest gadgets. None of the newer MDX models over the years have impressed me very much, until the 2022 model that is. The exterior hasn't changed all that much but the interior is a new world and I like what I see in youtube.com videos. No touch screen is a concern but none of my wife's several BMW's have had that either, so we are use to using knobs, buttons and pads.

Being retired and driving very infrequently, well under a 100 miles a week, probably under 50 miles a week average, it is probably a waste of money to buy a new car especially one that will cost between 65 to 75K plus tax, fees, etc. The thing that gets me day dreaming is the numerous bells and whistles that these cars have now. My next car will most likely be my last. The GV80 is certainly on my radar but after driving for 60 years and being an old man who drives like an old lady, the bells and whistles might be wasted on me. My 2001 glides down the road between 75-85 with just 240 HP. So, I can probably do that easily with the new MDX with it's 290 HP. I have no doubt the upcoming MDX S model would be way over the top for me, but I still like the idea of the power it will probably have.

I would not seriously consider a GV80 until I know for certain it didn't cause Tiger Woods to crash the GV80 he was driving yesterday.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The GV80 is impressive but may not meet my needs as I live in a snow ridden and hilly upstate NY area. The X has a great AWD system, especially the fact that it is primarily driven by the front wheels until slippage is detected. The rear wheel activation is very quick and therefore lends itself to high level of directional stability (very important ascending slippery hills). The GV80 AWD is principally rear wheel driven and may be prone to fish tailing climbing snowy hills before transferring torque to the front wheels.
I have only had my GV80 Prestige for a little over a week but I live in snowy northern Alberta and have found it to be extremely stable. I have tried to break it loose to test the limits and found it difficult to do. I have not driven the new MDX (or any MDX) but have tested the new Lexus RX and found I much preferred the rear wheel bias or the Lexus front bias and extreme torque steer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have only had my GV80 Prestige for a little over a week but I live in snowy northern Alberta and have found it to be extremely stable. I have tried to break it loose to test the limits and found it difficult to do. I have not driven the new MDX (or any MDX) but have tested the new Lexus RX and found I much preferred the rear wheel bias or the Lexus front bias and extreme torque steer.
That's interesting. Did you test going up slick hills?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good to hear about your ice handling on the flats. Where I live, there are numerous steep hills to deal with. The SH-AWD Acura with its front wheel bias and torque vectoring seems to climb snow hills in a very stable manner. Not much, if any, fishtailing. However, when a stall point is reached, the SUV usually slides either left or right depending on the grade, but at the same time maintains directional stability. A short time ago, I did see a video clip of a GV80 climbing a snow covered fairly steep hill. It did conquer the grade but not without several moderate fishtails. I am not sure if the vehicle had the E-Lock Differential, like yours. Anyway, the GV is a very beautiful vehicle especially the Prestige Option. At the current time, the prestige version is very hard to come by in my area. Closest dealer is ~80 miles away. What color did you choose?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good to hear about your ice handling on the flats. Where I live, there are numerous steep hills to deal with. The SH-AWD Acura with its front wheel bias and torque vectoring seems to climb snow hills in a very stable manner. Not much, if any, fishtailing. However, when a stall point is reached, the SUV usually slides either left or right depending on the grade, but at the same time maintains directional stability. A short time ago, I did see a video clip of a GV80 climbing a snow covered fairly steep hill. It did conquer the grade but not without several moderate fishtails. I am not sure if the vehicle had the E-Lock Differential, like yours. Anyway, the GV is a very beautiful vehicle especially the Prestige Option. At the current time, the prestige version is very hard to come by in my area. Closest dealer is ~80 miles away. What color did you choose?
That does sound like some very steep hills and may be difficult for you to demo on those hills. There are a couple steep hills in my area that if I get a chance to try I will update.

I didn't get an opportunity to pick my color. I purchased a demo with under 200 miles. With the price discount and being practically new I was happy to take Uyuni White exterior (which I really like) with black interior. The black interior would not have been my first choice, but I am quite happy with it now. The white stitching really breaks up the black. It looks much better in person than pictures.

The maintenance conditions you describe are news to me. I am assuming this is a US condition. Maintenance warranty is quite different in the two countries. We get five years warranty and scheduled service with no mention of severe conditions. Also the packaging is different, I much prefer how you can build US specifications. It has been frustrating seeing/reading about configurations only to find that it was only available in US or Korea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't see anyway around putting snow tires on the prestige trim if you live in a traditionaly snowy and hilly location. You might get away with not doing so with the 20 inch wheels, but methinks the 22 inch are a bridge too far. I understand their limiting trim/options philosophy, but think offering 20 inch wheels in the top trim (along with the spare) should have been a no-brainer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That does sound like some very steep hills and may be difficult for you to demo on those hills. There are a couple steep hills in my area that if I get a chance to try I will update.

I didn't get an opportunity to pick my color. I purchased a demo with under 200 miles. With the price discount and being practically new I was happy to take Uyuni White exterior (which I really like) with black interior. The black interior would not have been my first choice, but I am quite happy with it now. The white stitching really breaks up the black. It looks much better in person than pictures.

The maintenance conditions you describe are news to me. I am assuming this is a US condition. Maintenance warranty is quite different in the two countries. We get five years warranty and scheduled service with no mention of severe conditions. Also the packaging is different, I much prefer how you can build US specifications. It has been frustrating seeing/reading about configurations only to find that it was only available in US or Korea.
Here are the Severe Conditions I talked about: https://owners.genesis.com/genesis/...-manual/2021/gv80/2021-GV80-Owners-Manual.pdf

That does it- much better coverage in Canada- I will seek Asylum to Canada ASAP- not much left here anyway. If your maintenance is every 5,000 miles, then you are in the severe category, no questions asked. I believe Honda/Acura also discriminates against you guys by placing you in the severe.

Your white is very attractive along with the white stitching. I did see the white, but not in the prestige option. Very much interested in your feedback. Good luck with your very classy new ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't see anyway around putting snow tires on the prestige trim if you live in a traditionaly snowy and hilly location. You might get away with not doing so with the 20 inch wheels, but methinks the 22 inch are a bridge too far. I understand their limiting trim/options philosophy, but think offering 20 inch wheels in the top trim (along with the spare) should have been a no-brainer.
Someone else on this or another Genesis forum bought a Prestige, but insisted the dealer swap the 22's for the 20's; and they did. He was very lucky as I'm sure most dealers wouldn't.

A major concern with the GV80 is climbing snow laden hills. Rear biased AWD may tend to fishtail on hills when momentum ceases. When approaching a hill stall, it seems to me, the important function is the time it takes to transfer torque to the front wheels. It seems to have to take place not in seconds, but in millisecond's. On the Acura 17 MDX when on a hill, the vehicle seems to maintain directional stability even when momentum is lost. I wonder about the GV80 in this situation. The Acura MDX and RDX both have some torque transfer noticeable lag but because of the front wheel bias, the vehicles maintained uneventful directional stability. What do you think?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hadn't heard of a dealer being willing to swap out the tires. I wonder if they also then included a spare? I beleive the spare is located inside under the rear area. If so, given it's absence in the prestige package, is there an empty space back there ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hadn't heard of a dealer being willing to swap out the tires. I wonder if they also then included a spare? I believe the spare is located inside under the rear area. If so, given it's absence in the prestige package, is there an empty space back there ?
I very much doubt a dealer would be so accommodative, even if, the 22" to 20" swap resulted in the dealer receiving a higher valued wheel/tire.
About the spare, I recall one gv80 negotiation in which the buyer used the absent spare as a possible deal breaker. reportedly, the dealer countered with his willingness to provide a spare at his cost. As Genesis parts are somewhat scarce, he could set any price and claim it, his cost. I tried to look up a spare kit but couldn't find any. I then looked up a spare kit for Hyundai Palisade and it comes in ~$400-$500USD. On my 17MDX Sport Hybrid the kit cost ~ $200.
There appears to be a space in the rear on the Prestige model that I believe is used for storage. I believe it could be modified to accommodate the spare.
Do you think you will go with the GV or revert to the MDX?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still haven't gotten around to test driving either. My 2010 MDX has about 99k on it, and runs fine, so I'm not in a big hurry. I expect to retire this year, and will then want to head out in a vehicle that is both under warranty, and features much of the latest safety features. It seems to me that both the GV80 and the MDX essentially check those boxes. I also want a quiet ride, good sound system, reliability, and in the event of an issue when far from home, availability of service. It is that last point that has me a bit hesitant with the GV80.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I still haven't gotten around to test driving either. My 2010 MDX has about 99k on it, and runs fine, so I'm not in a big hurry. I expect to retire this year, and will then want to head out in a vehicle that is both under warranty, and features much of the latest safety features. It seems to me that both the GV80 and the MDX essentially check those boxes. I also want a quiet ride, good sound system, reliability, and in the event of an issue when far from home, availability of service. It is that last point that has me a bit hesitant with the GV80.
Are you in Canada? Regardless, how far are you from a Genesis Dealer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm in NH, and about 40 miles from a Genesis dealer. My concern is the availability of service in general, throughout the US and Canada.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It seems to me that both the GV80 and the MDX essentially check those boxes. I also want a quiet ride, good sound system, reliability, and in the event of an issue when far from home, availability of service. It is that last point that has me a bit hesitant with the GV80.
Myself coming from a 2016 MDX Tech, I can say my Advanced+ is noticeably quieter (even w/o the Active Noise Cancellation of the Prestige), rides much better, and the sound system is superior than the ELS (which I liked). That said, the 2022 MDX Advance would be a better comparison.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts