Genesis GV Forums banner

GV80 vs 2022 MDX?

11K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  gundalow 
#1 ·
I've owned three MDX's; 01, 05, and currently have a 10. I've always liked the SH-AWD ride, and have been on autopilot toward the purchase of the 2022. However, the GV80 now has my attention, and may carry the day. I have yet to test drive either, so who knows. My intention is to go with the top trim level of whichever I choose.
My X's have had their share of issues over the years, the 01 tranny and the paint literally falling off of the 10, to mention a couple. The fit and finish is "luxury light", and the warranty is average at best. Having said that, it's still a very nice vehicle, and Acura has up it's luxury game some with the 2022. My biggest pre test drive concern being what appears to be a swing and a miss with the touch pad interface.
On the other hand, I have no experience with Genesis, other than a friend who owns a G80 and is absolutely smitten with the thing. I plan to take a lot of long road trips with the next SUV, and am very focused on seating comfort, handling, ride comfort, and road noise. I have no use for third row seating, for which there is no escape with the MDX, nor do I have any use for 22 inch wheels, for which there is no escape with the top trim on the GV80. The GV80 warranty is a big plus, but their relatively sparse dealer network may make it a PIA to get convenient service.
I plan to hold onto the vehicle for 8-10 years. Which means the way things are headed, this will likely be my last non-hybrid/EV SUV purchase. So, do I stick with the same old same old? Or take a chance on the intriguing upstart?
I tend to think that I can't really go wrong with either vehicle.

See less See more
#3 ·
When we purchased our current MDX, it was the more sporty ride that swayed both my wife and myself toward it vs a Lexus. Given what Ive read about the new X, as well as the GV80, the Genesis is more of a true luxury boat. I have also read that the GV80 has a tendency to bottom out its trailer hitch under some conditions. That is something that has never happened in any MDX I've owned. I tow a 5,000 lbs. boat/trailer on occasion, and am concerned as to whether or not the GV80 will be dragging it's rear end around under the tongue weight.
I like all of the tech in the GV80, but wonder if I will ever use some or even much of it. The safety gear is also great (love that blind side camera in the instrument cluster) but the X also has a very good package. Smart Park is pretty cool too, but whereas I've been parking my own car for over 50 years, I suspect I can just keep doing so without much fanfare.
Although I have yet to test drive either, unless the GV80 is the clear preference, I suspect I may default to the X once again, and see how the GV80 gets throuigh it's maiden year, and further into maturity, before taking another look.

#4 ·
When we purchased our current MDX, it was the more sporty ride that swayed both my wife and myself toward it vs a Lexus. Given what Ive read about the new X, as well as the GV80, the Genesis is more of a true luxury boat. I have also read that the GV80 has a tendency to bottom out its trailer hitch under some conditions. That is something that has never happened in any MDX I've owned. I tow a 5,000 lbs. boat/trailer on occasion, and am concerned as to whether or not the GV80 will be dragging it's rear end around under the tongue weight.
I like all of the tech in the GV80, but wonder if I will ever use some or even much of it. The safety gear is also great (love that blind side camera in the instrument cluster) but the X also has a very good package. Smart Park is pretty cool too, but whereas I've been parking my own car for over 50 years, I suspect I can just keep doing so without much fanfare.
Although I have yet to test drive either, unless the GV80 is the clear preference, I suspect I may default to the X once again, and see how the GV80 gets throuigh it's maiden year, and further into maturity, before taking another look.
I think you should get the gv80. Superior in every way to the 2022 MDX. Doesn’t match the quality of my Gv80.

#6 · (Edited)
Interesting discussion for me because I'm considering the same two cars. 20 years ago we bought our 2001 MDX in February 2001 from the dealership in St. Petersburg, FL and after 130,000 miles still drive it today. During the first year there was the transmission recall where some plumbing was added to route fluid over one of the gears that was not getting enough. Since then the only other problem after approximately 5 years on the road was an idle control module or some such thing controlling fuel flow. I believe the car was out of warranty then but the part and labor was only a few hundred bucks at the most. Other than that just normal replacement of tires, batteries, timing chain/fuel pump, and minor problems I could fix myself like middle row seat latches. I like my MDX a lot but there are times I'd like a shiny new buggy with all the latest gadgets. None of the newer MDX models over the years have impressed me very much, until the 2022 model that is. The exterior hasn't changed all that much but the interior is a new world and I like what I see in youtube.com videos. No touch screen is a concern but none of my wife's several BMW's have had that either, so we are use to using knobs, buttons and pads.

Being retired and driving very infrequently, well under a 100 miles a week, probably under 50 miles a week average, it is probably a waste of money to buy a new car especially one that will cost between 65 to 75K plus tax, fees, etc. The thing that gets me day dreaming is the numerous bells and whistles that these cars have now. My next car will most likely be my last. The GV80 is certainly on my radar but after driving for 60 years and being an old man who drives like an old lady, the bells and whistles might be wasted on me. My 2001 glides down the road between 75-85 with just 240 HP. So, I can probably do that easily with the new MDX with it's 290 HP. I have no doubt the upcoming MDX S model would be way over the top for me, but I still like the idea of the power it will probably have.

I would not seriously consider a GV80 until I know for certain it didn't cause Tiger Woods to crash the GV80 he was driving yesterday.

#26 ·
Interesting discussion for me because I'm considering the same two cars. 20 years ago we bought our 2001 MDX in February 2001 from the dealership in St. Petersburg, FL and after 130,000 miles still drive it today. During the first year there was the transmission recall where some plumbing was added to route fluid over one of the gears that was not getting enough. Since then the only other problem after approximately 5 years on the road was an idle control module or some such thing controlling fuel flow. I believe the car was out of warranty then but the part and labor was only a few hundred bucks at the most. Other than that just normal replacement of tires, batteries, timing chain/fuel pump, and minor problems I could fix myself like middle row seat latches. I like my MDX a lot but there are times I'd like a shiny new buggy with all the latest gadgets. None of the newer MDX models over the years have impressed me very much, until the 2022 model that is. The exterior hasn't changed all that much but the interior is a new world and I like what I see in youtube.com videos. No touch screen is a concern but none of my wife's several BMW's have had that either, so we are use to using knobs, buttons and pads.

Being retired and driving very infrequently, well under a 100 miles a week, probably under 50 miles a week average, it is probably a waste of money to buy a new car especially one that will cost between 65 to 75K plus tax, fees, etc. The thing that gets me day dreaming is the numerous bells and whistles that these cars have now. My next car will most likely be my last. The GV80 is certainly on my radar but after driving for 60 years and being an old man who drives like an old lady, the bells and whistles might be wasted on me. My 2001 glides down the road between 75-85 with just 240 HP. So, I can probably do that easily with the new MDX with it's 290 HP. I have no doubt the upcoming MDX S model would be way over the top for me, but I still like the idea of the power it will probably have.

I would not seriously consider a GV80 until I know for certain it didn't cause Tiger Woods to crash the GV80 he was driving yesterday.
He did cause the crash!

#10 ·
Good to hear about your ice handling on the flats. Where I live, there are numerous steep hills to deal with. The SH-AWD Acura with its front wheel bias and torque vectoring seems to climb snow hills in a very stable manner. Not much, if any, fishtailing. However, when a stall point is reached, the SUV usually slides either left or right depending on the grade, but at the same time maintains directional stability. A short time ago, I did see a video clip of a GV80 climbing a snow covered fairly steep hill. It did conquer the grade but not without several moderate fishtails. I am not sure if the vehicle had the E-Lock Differential, like yours. Anyway, the GV is a very beautiful vehicle especially the Prestige Option. At the current time, the prestige version is very hard to come by in my area. Closest dealer is ~80 miles away. What color did you choose?

#11 ·
That does sound like some very steep hills and may be difficult for you to demo on those hills. There are a couple steep hills in my area that if I get a chance to try I will update.

I didn't get an opportunity to pick my color. I purchased a demo with under 200 miles. With the price discount and being practically new I was happy to take Uyuni White exterior (which I really like) with black interior. The black interior would not have been my first choice, but I am quite happy with it now. The white stitching really breaks up the black. It looks much better in person than pictures.

The maintenance conditions you describe are news to me. I am assuming this is a US condition. Maintenance warranty is quite different in the two countries. We get five years warranty and scheduled service with no mention of severe conditions. Also the packaging is different, I much prefer how you can build US specifications. It has been frustrating seeing/reading about configurations only to find that it was only available in US or Korea.

#12 ·
I can't see anyway around putting snow tires on the prestige trim if you live in a traditionaly snowy and hilly location. You might get away with not doing so with the 20 inch wheels, but methinks the 22 inch are a bridge too far. I understand their limiting trim/options philosophy, but think offering 20 inch wheels in the top trim (along with the spare) should have been a no-brainer.

#14 ·
Someone else on this or another Genesis forum bought a Prestige, but insisted the dealer swap the 22's for the 20's; and they did. He was very lucky as I'm sure most dealers wouldn't.

A major concern with the GV80 is climbing snow laden hills. Rear biased AWD may tend to fishtail on hills when momentum ceases. When approaching a hill stall, it seems to me, the important function is the time it takes to transfer torque to the front wheels. It seems to have to take place not in seconds, but in millisecond's. On the Acura 17 MDX when on a hill, the vehicle seems to maintain directional stability even when momentum is lost. I wonder about the GV80 in this situation. The Acura MDX and RDX both have some torque transfer noticeable lag but because of the front wheel bias, the vehicles maintained uneventful directional stability. What do you think?

#15 ·
I hadn't heard of a dealer being willing to swap out the tires. I wonder if they also then included a spare? I beleive the spare is located inside under the rear area. If so, given it's absence in the prestige package, is there an empty space back there ?

#16 ·
I hadn't heard of a dealer being willing to swap out the tires. I wonder if they also then included a spare? I believe the spare is located inside under the rear area. If so, given it's absence in the prestige package, is there an empty space back there ?
I very much doubt a dealer would be so accommodative, even if, the 22" to 20" swap resulted in the dealer receiving a higher valued wheel/tire.
About the spare, I recall one gv80 negotiation in which the buyer used the absent spare as a possible deal breaker. reportedly, the dealer countered with his willingness to provide a spare at his cost. As Genesis parts are somewhat scarce, he could set any price and claim it, his cost. I tried to look up a spare kit but couldn't find any. I then looked up a spare kit for Hyundai Palisade and it comes in ~$400-$500USD. On my 17MDX Sport Hybrid the kit cost ~ $200.
There appears to be a space in the rear on the Prestige model that I believe is used for storage. I believe it could be modified to accommodate the spare.
Do you think you will go with the GV or revert to the MDX?

#17 ·
I still haven't gotten around to test driving either. My 2010 MDX has about 99k on it, and runs fine, so I'm not in a big hurry. I expect to retire this year, and will then want to head out in a vehicle that is both under warranty, and features much of the latest safety features. It seems to me that both the GV80 and the MDX essentially check those boxes. I also want a quiet ride, good sound system, reliability, and in the event of an issue when far from home, availability of service. It is that last point that has me a bit hesitant with the GV80.

#21 ·
Granted Acura is better represented by the number of dealerships both in Canada and the US. Although less in number, Genesis dealerships appear concentrated in and about metro areas and are somewhat scattered about similar to Acura in lesser populated areas. Here in NY, The capitol, Albany does not have a dealer. So for me, I would have to travel ~90 miles to the nearest facility. With the Severe Conditions maintenance protocol, I would have to travel 90 miles every 5K miles. The 17 Acura MDX goes ~9,500 miles between oil changes. The Maintenance Minder computer determines the interval, unlike the old by the book set routine. So the Acura needs less frequent attention, and for me, a 30 mile drive to the dealer. As Genesis has been around for a while, they still don't have their own dealerships. Maybe, if the GV80 and 70 sell well enough, they will expand thereby eliminating the problem.

Another concern I have is Genesis parts availability. Unlike Acura, I don't see any online source for OEM parts. Some Hyundai Dealers show Genesis but only show parts up to 2016. This is pathetic and to me, worrisome. Can't even find a compact spare tire kit, nonsense!

#27 ·
Well, after test driving both and making comparisons across the board, the MDX won the day. While I was impressed with the GV80, I liked the MDX ride and handling better. Much of the GV80's tech was very impressive, but there was enough impressive tech in the MDX for my tastes. I like the GV80's warranty, but not the dealer experience or availabilty of dealerships throughout much of the country. After owning my other three MDXs, their collective stellar maintenance records is something I expect to carry through with the 2022.
Pricing wasn't a huge factor, but still, I couldn't justify to myself spending an extra 10K for a GV80 outfitted essentially the same as I have built the Acura. (I'll stick that extra 10k aside toward a new electric motorcycle!)
In any event, I'm sure I would have been happy with the GV80 as well. Thanks to all for your feedback througout this thread. It's nice to have the honest opinions of "real" people when making these comparisons.

#28 ·
Well, after test driving both and making comparisons across the board, the MDX won the day. While I was impressed with the GV80, I liked the MDX ride and handling better. Much of the GV80's tech was very impressive, but there was enough impressive tech in the MDX for my tastes. I like the GV80's warranty, but not the dealer experience or availabilty of dealerships throughout much of the country. After owning my other three MDXs, their collective stellar maintenance records is something I expect to carry through with the 2022.
Pricing wasn't a huge factor, but still, I couldn't justify to myself spending an extra 10K for a GV80 outfitted essentially the same as I have built the Acura. (I'll stick that extra 10k aside toward a new electric motorcycle!)
In any event, I'm sure I would have been happy with the GV80 as well. Thanks to all for your feedback througout this thread. It's nice to have the honest opinions of "real" people when making these comparisons.
Well congrats on your new SUV! Which trim level did you get on your MDX? Was it an A-Spec? Which electric motorcycle are you looking to get?

#31 ·
I got the Advance, white/black with the following accessories:

• Crossbars
  • Door Edge Guards
  • Splash Guard Set
  • Trailer Hitch (5,000 lb) With Harness
  • Welcome Light
  • All-Season Floor Mats, First- and Second-Row
  • Cargo Cover
  • Cargo Sill Trim – Illuminated
  • Cargo Tray
  • Illuminated Door Sill Trim
  • All-Season Protection Package I
  • Illumination Plus Package
Both my wife and I (very important) both preferred the X's ride over the GV-80, which seemed like more of a luxury ride, with little connection to the road. I really don't see the MDX lacking for much when it comes to comfort. If anything, all the bells and whistles are a tad overwhelming for an old timer like me. I was also leery of the GV-80 when it comes to towing.

As for my electric bike of choice, good question. It seems there is another one on the market every time I turn around. I don't want anything too ferocious or too expensive. I haven't ridden a bike for over 40 years, and would hate to ruin an expensive bike in the inevitable crash. My wife says I ought to start with an electric bicycle, but I'm too old to work through a logical progression. I don't have that much time left in the saddle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.