Genesis GV Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
I'm in NH, and about 40 miles from a Genesis dealer. My concern is the availability of service in general, throughout the US and Canada.
Granted Acura is better represented by the number of dealerships both in Canada and the US. Although less in number, Genesis dealerships appear concentrated in and about metro areas and are somewhat scattered about similar to Acura in lesser populated areas. Here in NY, The capitol, Albany does not have a dealer. So for me, I would have to travel ~90 miles to the nearest facility. With the Severe Conditions maintenance protocol, I would have to travel 90 miles every 5K miles. The 17 Acura MDX goes ~9,500 miles between oil changes. The Maintenance Minder computer determines the interval, unlike the old by the book set routine. So the Acura needs less frequent attention, and for me, a 30 mile drive to the dealer. As Genesis has been around for a while, they still don't have their own dealerships. Maybe, if the GV80 and 70 sell well enough, they will expand thereby eliminating the problem.

Another concern I have is Genesis parts availability. Unlike Acura, I don't see any online source for OEM parts. Some Hyundai Dealers show Genesis but only show parts up to 2016. This is pathetic and to me, worrisome. Can't even find a compact spare tire kit, nonsense!

I'm in NH, and about 40 miles from a Genesis dealer. My concern is the availability of service in general, throughout the US and Canada.
Granted Acura is better represented by the number of dealerships both in Canada and the US. Although less in number, Genesis dealerships appear concentrated in and about metro areas and are somewhat scattered about similar to Acura in lesser populated areas. Here in NY, The capitol, Albany does not have a dealer. So for me, I would have to travel ~90 miles to the nearest facility. With the Severe Conditions maintenance protocol, I would have to travel 90 miles every 5K miles. The 17 Acura MDX goes ~9,500 miles between oil changes. The Maintenance Minder computer determines the interval, unlike the old by the book set routine. So the Acura needs less frequent attention, and for me, a 30 mile drive to the dealer. As Genesis has been around for a while, they still don't have their own dealerships. Maybe, if the GV80 and 70 sell well enough, they will expand thereby eliminating the problem.

Another concern I have is Genesis parts availability. Unlike Acura, I don't see any online source for OEM parts. Some Hyundai Dealers show Genesis but only show parts up to 2016. This is pathetic and to me, worrisome. Can't even find a compact spare tire kit, nonsense!

I am somewhat in the same boat. I currently have a 17 MDX Sport Hybrid and have had several Acura's. The GV80 is impressive but may not meet my needs as I live in a snow ridden and hilly upstate NY area. The X has a great AWD system, especially the fact that it is primarily driven by the front wheels until slippage is detected. The rear wheel activation is very quick and therefore lends itself to high level of directional stability (very important ascending slippery hills). The GV80 AWD is principally rear wheel driven and may be prone to fish tailing climbing snowy hills before transferring torque to the front wheels. The transfer has to be extremely fast or directional stability could be compromised. I had a truck with AWD somewhat similar to the GV80. Once i was ascending a slick hill, I fish tailed in the opposite lane before torque transferred to the front, not good.

Maintenance is another issue. Hyundai/Genesis as evidenced by the GV80 Owners Manual just about makes all owners fit in the Severe Conditions-really crazy. As such 5k oil/filter changes along with several other fluid changes, not even mentioned in the-Normal Conditions criteria. The supposedly free 3yr/36K mile service probably doesn't cover the Severe routine. Down the road , if there is a drivetrain warranty problem (10yr/100K) they may require proof of the enhanced maintenance. On the other hand, the Acura maintenance is very reasonable- no insane severe criteria. I also looked at Hyundai which is even worse with the same Severe Conditions requirements mandating oil/filter changes at a ridiculous 3,700 miles.

About the GV80, if you want the E Lock Differential you have to get the 3.5L along with the Prestige option. Then you get no compact spare, jack and tools. Instead you receive an inflation kit that is worthless if you get a sidewall flat.

I don't like the 22" Prestige wheel as there only a few tire replacement options for this very narrow aspect ratio tire.
I’m telling you, you won’t regret the gv80

Interesting discussion for me because I'm considering the same two cars. 20 years ago we bought our 2001 MDX in February 2001 from the dealership in St. Petersburg, FL and after 130,000 miles still drive it today. During the first year there was the transmission recall where some plumbing was added to route fluid over one of the gears that was not getting enough. Since then the only other problem after approximately 5 years on the road was an idle control module or some such thing controlling fuel flow. I believe the car was out of warranty then but the part and labor was only a few hundred bucks at the most. Other than that just normal replacement of tires, batteries, timing chain/fuel pump, and minor problems I could fix myself like middle row seat latches. I like my MDX a lot but there are times I'd like a shiny new buggy with all the latest gadgets. None of the newer MDX models over the years have impressed me very much, until the 2022 model that is. The exterior hasn't changed all that much but the interior is a new world and I like what I see in youtube.com videos. No touch screen is a concern but none of my wife's several BMW's have had that either, so we are use to using knobs, buttons and pads.

Being retired and driving very infrequently, well under a 100 miles a week, probably under 50 miles a week average, it is probably a waste of money to buy a new car especially one that will cost between 65 to 75K plus tax, fees, etc. The thing that gets me day dreaming is the numerous bells and whistles that these cars have now. My next car will most likely be my last. The GV80 is certainly on my radar but after driving for 60 years and being an old man who drives like an old lady, the bells and whistles might be wasted on me. My 2001 glides down the road between 75-85 with just 240 HP. So, I can probably do that easily with the new MDX with it's 290 HP. I have no doubt the upcoming MDX S model would be way over the top for me, but I still like the idea of the power it will probably have.

I would not seriously consider a GV80 until I know for certain it didn't cause Tiger Woods to crash the GV80 he was driving yesterday.
He did cause the crash!

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Well, after test driving both and making comparisons across the board, the MDX won the day. While I was impressed with the GV80, I liked the MDX ride and handling better. Much of the GV80's tech was very impressive, but there was enough impressive tech in the MDX for my tastes. I like the GV80's warranty, but not the dealer experience or availabilty of dealerships throughout much of the country. After owning my other three MDXs, their collective stellar maintenance records is something I expect to carry through with the 2022.
Pricing wasn't a huge factor, but still, I couldn't justify to myself spending an extra 10K for a GV80 outfitted essentially the same as I have built the Acura. (I'll stick that extra 10k aside toward a new electric motorcycle!)
In any event, I'm sure I would have been happy with the GV80 as well. Thanks to all for your feedback througout this thread. It's nice to have the honest opinions of "real" people when making these comparisons.

Well, after test driving both and making comparisons across the board, the MDX won the day. While I was impressed with the GV80, I liked the MDX ride and handling better. Much of the GV80's tech was very impressive, but there was enough impressive tech in the MDX for my tastes. I like the GV80's warranty, but not the dealer experience or availabilty of dealerships throughout much of the country. After owning my other three MDXs, their collective stellar maintenance records is something I expect to carry through with the 2022.
Pricing wasn't a huge factor, but still, I couldn't justify to myself spending an extra 10K for a GV80 outfitted essentially the same as I have built the Acura. (I'll stick that extra 10k aside toward a new electric motorcycle!)
In any event, I'm sure I would have been happy with the GV80 as well. Thanks to all for your feedback througout this thread. It's nice to have the honest opinions of "real" people when making these comparisons.
Well congrats on your new SUV! Which trim level did you get on your MDX? Was it an A-Spec? Which electric motorcycle are you looking to get?

How do you like the level of comfort offered in the MDX? Enough to forget about the GV80?

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I got the Advance, white/black with the following accessories:

• Crossbars
  • Door Edge Guards
  • Splash Guard Set
  • Trailer Hitch (5,000 lb) With Harness
  • Welcome Light
  • All-Season Floor Mats, First- and Second-Row
  • Cargo Cover
  • Cargo Sill Trim – Illuminated
  • Cargo Tray
  • Illuminated Door Sill Trim
  • All-Season Protection Package I
  • Illumination Plus Package
Both my wife and I (very important) both preferred the X's ride over the GV-80, which seemed like more of a luxury ride, with little connection to the road. I really don't see the MDX lacking for much when it comes to comfort. If anything, all the bells and whistles are a tad overwhelming for an old timer like me. I was also leery of the GV-80 when it comes to towing.

As for my electric bike of choice, good question. It seems there is another one on the market every time I turn around. I don't want anything too ferocious or too expensive. I haven't ridden a bike for over 40 years, and would hate to ruin an expensive bike in the inevitable crash. My wife says I ought to start with an electric bicycle, but I'm too old to work through a logical progression. I don't have that much time left in the saddle!

I got the Advance, white/black with the following accessories:

• Crossbars
  • Door Edge Guards
  • Splash Guard Set
  • Trailer Hitch (5,000 lb) With Harness
  • Welcome Light
  • All-Season Floor Mats, First- and Second-Row
  • Cargo Cover
  • Cargo Sill Trim – Illuminated
  • Cargo Tray
  • Illuminated Door Sill Trim
  • All-Season Protection Package I
  • Illumination Plus Package
Both my wife and I (very important) both preferred the X's ride over the GV-80, which seemed like more of a luxury ride, with little connection to the road. I really don't see the MDX lacking for much when it comes to comfort. If anything, all the bells and whistles are a tad overwhelming for an old timer like me. I was also leery of the GV-80 when it comes to towing.

As for my electric bike of choice, good question. It seems there is another one on the market every time I turn around. I don't want anything too ferocious or too expensive. I haven't ridden a bike for over 40 years, and would hate to ruin an expensive bike in the inevitable crash. My wife says I ought to start with an electric bicycle, but I'm too old to work through a logical progression. I don't have that much time left in the saddle!
You're definitely spoiled for choice, ones that immediately come to mind are the Harley-Davidson Livewire, Evoke Urban Classic, Lighting Strike.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.