Genesis GV Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
I’m often puzzled by the amount of “weight” of the badge and the dealer in making the decision on what car to buy, though I do generally understand it. However, the luxury experience, for me, is the time I spend behind the wheel. I’m also very lucky that the Hyundai dealer in my area is a very good one.

I’ve owned one Lexus and four Genesis and have never felt like I compromised. IMO, the difference is being lucky enough to have a dealer that treats you like a valued customer and having a car that doesn’t require a dealer visit too often. :)

I’m often puzzled by the amount of “weight” of the badge and the dealer in making the decision on what car to buy, though I do generally understand it. However, the luxury experience, for me, is the time I spend behind the wheel. I’m also very lucky that the Hyundai dealer in my area is a very good one.

I’ve owned one Lexus and four Genesis and have never felt like I compromised. IMO, the difference is being lucky enough to have a dealer that treats you like a valued customer and having a car that doesn’t require a dealer visit too often. :)
I agree, ultimately it's the driving experience and dependability of the vehicle. That being said I've been in sales my entire career and people buy products more often from people they like when they have a choice where they buy it. I love my GV80 but quite honestly when purchasing a $72,000 vehicle (I purchased the Prestige Package with the 3.5TT) I feel like the dealership and salesperson has to earn the sale. In my case the salesperson was polite but I felt that once I signed the paperwork they wanted me out the door to move onto the next deal. That's not how you make a customer feel when buying a $72,000 GV80. It's bad business. I love my GV80 but Genesis needs to separate themselves from Hyundai if they want to seriously compete with other established premium brands.

I agree, ultimately it's the driving experience and dependability of the vehicle. That being said I've been in sales my entire career and people buy products more often from people they like when they have a choice where they buy it. I love my GV80 but quite honestly when purchasing a $72,000 vehicle (I purchased the Prestige Package with the 3.5TT) I feel like the dealership and salesperson has to earn the sale. In my case the salesperson was polite but I felt that once I signed the paperwork they wanted me out the door to move onto the next deal. That's not how you make a customer feel when buying a $72,000 GV80. It's bad business. I love my GV80 but Genesis needs to separate themselves from Hyundai if they want to seriously compete with other established premium brands.
For all the new cars I have bought the "sales" end has typically been very good. It has been amazing how often the experience changes after the purchase paperwork is signed. I have had numerous after sales issues in attempting to get them to complete items they agreed to during the sale (ie rebates etc). They have always completed their end of the deal but it was unfortunate I had to fight for it.

One Genesis perk I am looking forward to is the dropping off a loaner on all service. With my last BMW I was told I would get a loaner, only to find out later that they never had one available, then they started charging for the loaners, then shuttles were so busy it often took a few hours to get back home, then with Covid there are no shuttles or loaners. Of course the proof of this will be when I actually require service and more importantly what happens with unscheduled service. Thus far I am confident that the Genesis experience will be good.

By the way, I still have a $500 maintenance credit that is owed to my son as a Genesis referral fee. It is not owed by Genesis dealership but by the parent company (GoAuto). Still likely a week or two before it gets credited but will report back when finalized.

I must concur. I own a Genesis Sedan and am shopping for a GV80. The experience is a nightmare. The local Hyundai Dealership does NOT know how to sell Luxury cars. They are lucky this year because of the shortage of GV80...this enables them to treat me very badly. I am very tempted to return to Infiniti or to Audi ... even though I would prefer a GV80. When I tried to place an order for a GV80 I was told “there are dozens of people ahead of you ... we will let you know”... WTF?

I must concur. I own a Genesis Sedan and am shopping for a GV80. The experience is a nightmare. The local Hyundai Dealership does NOT know how to sell Luxury cars. They are lucky this year because of the shortage of GV80...this enables them to treat me very badly. I am very tempted to return to Infiniti or to Audi ... even though I would prefer a GV80. When I tried to place an order for a GV80 I was told “there are dozens of people ahead of you ... we will let you know”... WTF?
That comment is really bad business on their part. I've been in sales my entire life and you don't talk to a potential customer that way. I've been saying for quite some time now you don't sell a $72,000 vehicle the way you sell an economy car. And that being said no salesperson should be rude, even if it's the least expensive car in the lineup.

Dude just search on CarGurus, and find one. Buy online! Or just deal with the experience!

Hi all. New to the forum and I’ve fallen in love with the GV80. I know this topic has been discussed before but please bear with me. I’ve read some of the existing threads but still looking for insight.

TLDR

Genesis has every intention of providing a best in class customer experience, but they’re still ironing out the kinks. I'm looking for your experiences and insights, but it seems that in order to help yourself get that experience, keep Genesis Concierge informed of everything that happens and allow them to straighten out any issues you have with the local dealer.

SIDENOTE
Genesis Concierge actually just called me as I was composing this post. Will include those details toward the end of the post.

BACKGROUND
I’m in Northern NJ and I test drove a base 2.5 GV80 on 12/26. I’m waiting to test drive the 3.5, but at the moment my requirements are 3.5 with Prestige package. Leaning toward savile silver with ultramarine blue/dune interior.

I liked the test drive but the power/acceleration from the 2.5 was just adequate and I’m going to want the higher quality nappa leather and Prestige features like noise canceling, soft close doors, 3D cluster, et cetera to put me over the top. I’ve watched every online review and comparison video and I’ve been reading the forums. I’ve been comparing the GLE, X5, RX450, XC90, Aviator, Model X, Model Y and even the Macan and Telluride (but who am I kidding).

The GV80 seems to hit my sweet spot between, style, comfort, features, performance and price. If I were single I’d probably buy a Tesla, but I’m married and my wife hates my ultra-aggressive driving. She also gets bad car sickness. I need a vehicle that is quick but not “sporty”, ultra soft, comfortable ride, and as many auto-driving features as possible (I can’t drive aggressively if the vehicle is driving for me 😆🤔). I’m pretty sold on the 3.5 Prestige, but for $72k, I need to drive it in person before pulling the trigger.

THE PROBLEM
I’m pretty sure that the GV80 is the vehicle I want, but for $72k, I want a top-notch customer experience, both during purchase and ongoing. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews and I understand that individual experiences will vary by dealership and even by salesperson/service manager. But Genesis didn’t get off to a good start with me.

I submitted a request on genesis.com to look at a GV80 and quickly got responses both from the local dealership and also Genesis Concierge. I called the dealer and scheduled a test drive. When I showed up at the dealership, the person I had the appointment with was not there, and I was assigned to another random salesperson. The experience was OK, but it was obvious that I knew a lot more about the GV80 than he did. What’s more, at the end, the salesperson went and got the sales manager who began to pressure me into buying one of the base 2.5 GV80s they had on the lot, even though I made it clear from the start that I was not interested in a base trim 2.5. As we left, they told me they’d have 3.5’s in next week and would call me as soon as they arrived for another test drive. That week came and went, and I received no calls. My overall impression is that I’m receiving the Hyundai experience, not the Genesis experience, and that makes me unsure of the purchase.

If anyone has any first hand knowledge of the Genesis/Hyundai/concierge or any other insight, please share!

UPDATE:
As I was typing this, Genesis Concierge called. I had emailed them about 10 minutes prior communicating my poor experience. He read my email, then listened as I recounted my grievances over the phone. I specifically told him that I want a Lexus customer experience if I’m going to purchase this vehicle. He assured me that he understood my problems, apologized for my poor experience, and thanked me for the feedback. He then told me that he would contact the dealer directly and ensure that I receive the customer care that I’m looking for, now and going forward. 5 minutes later, the dealer called me back, apologized, and gave me an update on the 3.5. Apparently they’ve been delayed but he now expects them this coming week and said I’ll be the first to know when they arrive.
There is a gap between the quality of the car and the quality of the attention. Sadly you are buying a Genesis with a Hyundai experience. Something Genesis needs to correct if they want your 72K worth it. Ourisman of Bowie MD tried to sell what they wanted not understanding that I wanted the gold coast Silver. They brought two reds and tried to negotiate the price for me to take the car right away. The sales person knew little about the car and to our disappointment, when we left the car dealer, we found they had the color on the lot across the street from the building. They didn't even know about their own stock. To the time I bought my car at another car dealer, my wife and I visited 3 car dealers and knew much more about the car than any of the sales people we met. Actually the young girl at Annapolis Hyundai was studding about the car and did a good effort to get what we wanted but we found the car before her and Hyundai of Columbia declined on trading the car with Annapolis forcing us to decide between buying our car 45 min away or not getting what we were looking for. The car is so beautiful that then you forget about all the problems. But is clearly an area Genesis needs to improve a lot.

There is a gap between the quality of the car and the quality of the attention. Sadly you are buying a Genesis with a Hyundai experience. Something Genesis needs to correct if they want your 72K worth it. Ourisman of Bowie MD tried to sell what they wanted not understanding that I wanted the gold coast Silver. They brought two reds and tried to negotiate the price for me to take the car right away. The sales person knew little about the car and to our disappointment, when we left the car dealer, we found they had the color on the lot across the street from the building. They didn't even know about their own stock. To the time I bought my car at another car dealer, my wife and I visited 3 car dealers and knew much more about the car than any of the sales people we met. Actually the young girl at Annapolis Hyundai was studding about the car and did a good effort to get what we wanted but we found the car before her and Hyundai of Columbia declined on trading the car with Annapolis forcing us to decide between buying our car 45 min away or not getting what we were looking for. The car is so beautiful that then you forget about all the problems. But is clearly an area Genesis needs to improve a lot.
I could be wrong but it seems like Genesis is very serious about competing in the big leagues and if that's the case they already know consumers are not going to buy premium vehicles with a budget car experience. I would think Genesis has people who go through these forums with a fine tooth comb to see what people are happy about and not so happy about. There's been a lot of disappointment voiced about the buying experience here (including me) while loving the GV80 itself. Their vehicles are awesome and I personally think they will address this whole issue by separating their showrooms, service and salespeople over the coming year or two to transition Genesis over to its own company entirely.

It's incidents like this that makes Genesis Canada's model way more appealing.

I want to add my experience with the Genesis Concierge. I purchased a GV80 2.5T Prestige from a dealer 3 hours away since no close-by dealer could get the 2.5 Prestige. After a week I sent a message via the Genesis website to the concierge, I received an automated email with a case number. Over the next week, I sent two additional messages via the website and again received an automated case number but no answer. I decided to call the concierge service but was unable to get thru their phone system. It keeps sending me back to the beginning and I was never able to get through. I still have never received a response, I called the dealer and advised them of the lack of response from the concierge service.
I was also a Lexus driver (past two vehicles) and was used to customer service which apparently is totally lacking with the Genesis brand.
UPDATE:
Having trouble using the app and remote start, the app now refused to accept my pin number. Instruction is to contact concierge service to update the pin number. On 2/20/21 I tried calling but could not get through so I sent a message through the website requesting assistance updating the pin number. On 2/25/21 I received an email with a reference number. Now 3/6/21 and still waiting for a response. Continue to receive the Hyundai experience with an expensive luxury vehicle. Genesis is not making any effort to improve the customer experience. I previously drove two Lexus vehicles and I know this issue would have been resolved the same day with them!!!!!

SFB........I'm also 3 hours away from the closest dealer....will the dealer you purchased from give you concierge /valet service for maintenance and servicing?
My nearest place won't...I'd like to get a GV80, but I'm not going to be hung out to dry, and I'm not going to drive 3 hours each way to get it to the dealer....How have you dealt with your 3 hour dilemma?
It is not possible to get good service from my closest dealer ( 30 minutes away) or the dealer I purchased from (three hours away). They are both Hyundai dealerships and have no clue how to treat customers who purchase a Genesis. I have had no positive experiences trying to contact Genesis Concierge Service for any issues. I am sure they will not be available for service issues either. We will need to contact the dealer directly for service.

Bot my GV80 Prestige in Dec. 2020. The car has lived up to it's promise, although I did have a faulty rear liftgate problem about 7 mos into ownership. Gave me a change to see how the concierge service performed. Bot the car in FL but my problem surfaced when I was in Connecticut. Nearest dealer was about 50 miles (one hour) away. Long story short, they retrieved my car, and brought me a loaner on two separate occasions (they needed to order a part, and returned a second time to install it). Not the smoothest process, but it got done. In all other respects, the car performs flawlessly. The biggest "problem" I have, is getting stopped a few times every month by onlookers who want to offer a complement on its looks.

I have had mixed results with Genesis dealerships. Purchased fully loaded GV80 in Dec 2020, after waiting months for availability due to pandemic delays. Purchasing dealership was very good in transacting the sale, but absolutely awful when it came to my first service visit. I subsequently used another dealership for maintenance, about 30 minutes away, with better results the first time, and not so good for another visit. During an extended stay in another state, I visited a dealership for warranty service on the rear-hatch, which wasn't functioning properly. I used the telephone Genesis Concierge service which quickly connected me to a dealer, located an hours' drive away. They were awesome. Picked up my vehicle within a few days, fixed it and returned it to me, leaving me a loaner for use. A year later, I used them again for routine maintenance -- attentive service, with car picked up from my home (1 hour away), returned and loaner to boot. Bottom line: my experience differed dramatically depending on the dealership. I am a former Lexus owner (owned many), and their service ranks as #1 in my book. Fortunately, the cars are so well built these days, you seldom need to see a dealer. I do love my GV80, and it is as nice as, or better than other lux brands I've owned (Merc, Jag, BMW, Lexus).

Hi all. New to the forum and I’ve fallen in love with the GV80. I know this topic has been discussed before but please bear with me. I’ve read some of the existing threads but still looking for insight.

TLDR

Genesis has every intention of providing a best in class customer experience, but they’re still ironing out the kinks. I'm looking for your experiences and insights, but it seems that in order to help yourself get that experience, keep Genesis Concierge informed of everything that happens and allow them to straighten out any issues you have with the local dealer.

SIDENOTE
Genesis Concierge actually just called me as I was composing this post. Will include those details toward the end of the post.

BACKGROUND
I’m in Northern NJ and I test drove a base 2.5 GV80 on 12/26. I’m waiting to test drive the 3.5, but at the moment my requirements are 3.5 with Prestige package. Leaning toward savile silver with ultramarine blue/dune interior.

I liked the test drive but the power/acceleration from the 2.5 was just adequate and I’m going to want the higher quality nappa leather and Prestige features like noise canceling, soft close doors, 3D cluster, et cetera to put me over the top. I’ve watched every online review and comparison video and I’ve been reading the forums. I’ve been comparing the GLE, X5, RX450, XC90, Aviator, Model X, Model Y and even the Macan and Telluride (but who am I kidding).

The GV80 seems to hit my sweet spot between, style, comfort, features, performance and price. If I were single I’d probably buy a Tesla, but I’m married and my wife hates my ultra-aggressive driving. She also gets bad car sickness. I need a vehicle that is quick but not “sporty”, ultra soft, comfortable ride, and as many auto-driving features as possible (I can’t drive aggressively if the vehicle is driving for me 😆🤔). I’m pretty sold on the 3.5 Prestige, but for $72k, I need to drive it in person before pulling the trigger.

THE PROBLEM
I’m pretty sure that the GV80 is the vehicle I want, but for $72k, I want a top-notch customer experience, both during purchase and ongoing. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews and I understand that individual experiences will vary by dealership and even by salesperson/service manager. But Genesis didn’t get off to a good start with me.

I submitted a request on genesis.com to look at a GV80 and quickly got responses both from the local dealership and also Genesis Concierge. I called the dealer and scheduled a test drive. When I showed up at the dealership, the person I had the appointment with was not there, and I was assigned to another random salesperson. The experience was OK, but it was obvious that I knew a lot more about the GV80 than he did. What’s more, at the end, the salesperson went and got the sales manager who began to pressure me into buying one of the base 2.5 GV80s they had on the lot, even though I made it clear from the start that I was not interested in a base trim 2.5. As we left, they told me they’d have 3.5’s in next week and would call me as soon as they arrived for another test drive. That week came and went, and I received no calls. My overall impression is that I’m receiving the Hyundai experience, not the Genesis experience, and that makes me unsure of the purchase.

If anyone has any first hand knowledge of the Genesis/Hyundai/concierge or any other insight, please share!

UPDATE:
As I was typing this, Genesis Concierge called. I had emailed them about 10 minutes prior communicating my poor experience. He read my email, then listened as I recounted my grievances over the phone. I specifically told him that I want a Lexus customer experience if I’m going to purchase this vehicle. He assured me that he understood my problems, apologized for my poor experience, and thanked me for the feedback. He then told me that he would contact the dealer directly and ensure that I receive the customer care that I’m looking for, now and going forward. 5 minutes later, the dealer called me back, apologized, and gave me an update on the 3.5. Apparently they’ve been delayed but he now expects them this coming week and said I’ll be the first to know when they arrive.
How much does this beautiful car (2021 GV80 3.5), I mean, do the connected ‘services’ annoy me? Let me count the ways.

This car was a Top Safety Pick+ in the IIHS ratings. I fell in love with it. I enjoyed my test drive. I found my car at a different dealership, the dealership where I’d done my test drive tried to charge me $5K more to get it for me than the dealership that had it was charging. The original dealership had one to trade (the one I test drove), but did not. I bought from the other dealership.

(Side note. My husband and I read lots of reviews stating how terrible the app interface and ‘luxury treatment’ of customers was. How bad could it possibly be, I wondered? Well.)

I bought the car on 5.29.21. It took the dealership over two months to get my connected services ‘connected’. Strike one, especially since my account states that those ‘services’ expire on 5.29.24. (I tried to get the date adjusted accordingly, but to no avail.)

In January of 2022, I had my car serviced at the first dealership. They seemed surprised that I wanted service valet services, but complied. That was the very last time the surround view of the car worked in the app.

I’ve tried to get the vehicle driving report each month, and have messaged about it several times. It has never been available.

The electronic key - the one used with the cell phone - is not available for iPhone. Is Genesis even aware how MANY people carry iPhones? Speaking of iPhones, why is AirPlay not available wirelessly?! I guess I should be glad my phone is always charging when I use AirPlay, but then the magnetic charger is pointless, isn’t it.

I’ve enabled the app on Alexa. I have it on my watch. The app on my watch is a joke - it recently said I needed to sign in on my phone, first. And speaking of signing in on my phone, I have to do so EVERY SINGLE TIME, usually with two or three CAPTCHA challenges. And no, I am in no way timid around technology, everything else I use can be set up to my satisfaction - everything except the Genesis app. I’ve directed my phone and my iPad to remember me. I have my password stored. I have to sign in every single time. Moreover, when I seek to contact Genesis, I have to ENTER my VIN and the mileage. On my app. My personalized app that stores this very information. So I have to open the app on another device to access this information whilst entering it THROUGH THE APP. Strike two. (Three, four, etc.)

Earlier this year, I chose to go to a local dealer (Hyundai) for an oil change, because I didn’t feel like dealing with my Genesis dealer - especially since I could not schedule a service appointment online. Seriously?! The Hyundai service department employees were kind and welcoming, I asked the service advisor to be certain that fluids got topped off, as my windshield-wiper fluid was low. He assured me they would be. Over $100 and an hour later, I drove off. About ten minutes down the road, I realized that the wiper fluid had NOT been replenished. I was not happy. I mention this not because I expected Genesis (-level) service, but because I fear this might be something systemic in the Hyundai/Kia/Genesis organization.

I received my recall notification in the mail. I attempted to make an appointment at my (closest) dealer. It was not possible to do this online. I finally ended up calling one day via the car, based on a service reminder. A long sob story telling me that Genesis has had difficulty maintaining valet services at its dealerships was meant to prepare me for the fact that I’d have to take the time to drive my car to the dealership for servicing. Genesis can’t keep people employed for this. Really?! How DO the other luxury car companies manage? I’m guessing they compensate their employees appropriately. I mean, who wouldn’t enjoy getting to drive these cars? So, yeah, by this point I was disgusted. Add to that that I was further informed that they service Genesis vehicles only on T-Th, and then was offered an appointment more than two weeks in the future. (So many more strikes…)

Not only that, but a few days ago literally every warning light decided to light up. It took a few days for my app to get on board with this information, but at this point, I have no idea WHAT to believe. Ostensibly, power brake fluid (called brake oil in the SMS messages), is low. Forward crash avoidance is messed up. The parking brake light is on all the time. Sometimes I can set the brake, sometimes I can’t. The other day, my seating position did not engage. Yesterday, it decided to work again (it’s programmed). Lane-keeping warning is supposedly also messed up, as is the ABS. I notified the dealership. They have me on a call list, supposedly, but I’ve already received redundant reminders to confirm my appointment next week.

The plan is to provide me a car while they work on mine. I guess I should not hold my breath.

(On 5.29.24, I’ll likely receive a reminder to PAY for the connected services. You know, the ‘services’ that don’t even allow for a simple update of the map system that doesn’t involve a computer transfer via outside memory.)

As a car manufacturer and service provider, you should constantly be selling your brand. Every interaction I’ve had with Genesis since the very beginning should have been an opportunity to impress me, to ensure that you would keep me as a customer. For that matter, I would think you’d want your customers to speak positively about the brand and the service. All I can say at this point, is, no wonder you’ve had a hard time establishing yourselves as a luxury car company.

Your new Genesis comes with a complimentary three-year subscription to Service Valet. That means never dropping off, picking up or wasting time. With Service Valet, you can schedule service online or via the mobile app and have your vehicle picked up wherever and whenever you choose. You’ll also receive a loaner vehicle and select when and where your Genesis will be returned, all at your convenience.
There are some things in life that are unavoidable, but servicing your Genesis shouldn’t be one of them. The only question is, what will you do with all of your extra time?

The truth is not even close. Genesis promised they would pick up the car and leave a loaner as I was within the 50 radius of the closest dealership. It has been over 3 weeks of dealing with the dealer, concierge, and national with a case number and I still do not have service with valet pickup and loaner scheduled.

This is not a luxury car....it is a unreliable vehicle with constant tech glitches and a car company that could not care less.

I tried to dump my new 2024 GV80 off on carmax and they didn't want it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.