Genesis GV Forums banner

I Am Trying To Choose Between a BMW X5 and the GV80

13K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  FLAGV80 
#1 ·
I like the GV80 3.5T AWD with the prestige package in gold coast silver. Also looking at the X5 with AWD. I have driven the BMW but not the GV80, but will soon. Just curious to know people's thoughts on how the GV80 stacks up against the X5. Thanks.

#8 ·
@Villages Golfer, @Kurt67 brought up a great point about price.

The more of a BMW fan you are, the easier it will be to accept the big margin required to get a comparable X5. Have you started to look into it? Online configurators for them are super useful for this.

Also, have you test driven the X5 as yet? Along with the GV80?
That first hand experience can go a long way in deciding which one to get.

#9 ·
@Villages Golfer, @Kurt67 brought up a great point about price.

The more of a BMW fan you are, the easier it will be to accept the big margin required to get a comparable X5. Have you started to look into it? Online configurators for them are super useful for this.

Also, have you test driven the X5 as yet? Along with the GV80?
That first hand experience can go a long way in deciding which one to get.
Yes, have done a lot of research, have driven the X5, not the GV80, but will soon. Thanks.

#15 ·
I cross shopped both and they came down to my final two choices. I preferred the BMW (top level Excellence Trim) over the GV80 (Prestige Trim). I ended up buying the GV80 for a number of reasons: GV80 is $15-$20K cheaper (CDN$) - Very similar features - Better warranty and maintenance programs - GV80 Home Valet service - and just tired of dealing with BMW sales and service (my last two cars were BMW). There are a few X5 features I wish the GV80 had but I believe the GV80 is a much better value.

Make sure you test drive the GV80 and let us know which one you end up choosing.

#26 ·
We drive vehicles longer than most people, so ordered a GV80 3.5T AWD Prestige in green on green from dealer at MSRP in November (hopefully arriving in the next couple weeks...was supposed to be here in January). We were looking at True Cost to Own and Luxury as deciding factors. BMW's are known to last 50k miles and then repairs start adding up. Mercedes GLE was the other vehicle we looked at. If you are willing to wait and find the right dealer, you can get the Genesis you want at MSRP.

#28 ·
i bought the GV80 after considering the X5. BMW equipped identical to GV80 3.5 prestige was about $8K more. The GV80 has superior warranty and since we keep our cars for 6 years, the warranty is a big deal. BMW's repair and maintenance are really high. Similar expense for Genesis is significantly lower. This is our second Genesis and we have become loyal customers. Formerly owned BMW's.

#33 ·
I went the BMW X5 xDrive40i route due to continuous delays and false delivery promises from dealership on my Prestige pre-order. In addition, the dealership ADM (Additional Dealer Markup above MSRP) on this new Genesis SUV rollout was absurd (not surprising, but absurd nonetheless). In the end, 2021 (custom build) X5 was ordered Nov 23 and I took delivery on Dec 22. MSRP on X5 build was USD $79K, but after discount and incentives at the time, price was adjusted 13.2% plus my Genesis G80 trade-in. So pricing on the X5 vs GV80 (at least for me anyway) was a better value. It's all personal opinion, but Love my X5 !!

#34 ·
I found the BMW stiff and, while sporty, not as smooth and responsive as the GV80. The Genesis is all about presentation and luxury, very smooth to drive, very capable driver support systems. The BMW was $15k more, and I know will be expensive to service. I went with the Genesis.

#37 ·
Hands down forget BMW unless you are willing to deal with pompous employees and a company, BMW NA, who doesn’t stand behind their products which are in the shop more then they are on the road... I’m looking forward to GENESIS a vehicle considered a bargain for all you get as compared to vehicles $150k ... I’m ordering a 2022 when the company start accepting deposits... cannot wait to be behind the wheel of such a highly acclaimed vehicle!

#38 ·
Like I said, it's a matter of personal opinion and personal choice. Enjoy your 2022 GV80, I'll enjoy my BMW (no issues). Statistically, 280.3K customers (2020 BMW sales all models) apparently have a different opinion versus the 16.4K ( 2020 Genesis sales all models). Just an observation. Again, enjoy your 2022 ride :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.