Genesis GV70 Forum & GV80 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suspect this issue MIGHT be why there are only about ~50 3.5TT's available for sale in the entire USA right now.

Just guessing that Genesis has figured out the issue, and stopped, or dramatically slowed production to get the fix into current production.

Likely anything arriving in the USA in the future will have the fix in place, as no manufacturer could sustain this type of problem damaging their reputation, let alone the cost to fix would be far greater after the fact than before the vehicle is manufactured initially.

I can't even imagine what the folks with the issue feel, as this would be a big deal to me.

Thankfully, there aren't any vehicles for sale anywhere near me at MSRP, or even any to test drive, so it's a moot point, at least for a while for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would this issue be affected by the stop/start function being used all of the time? I never use mine partly because on the test vehicle at the dealer (a month before I got a new one with 4miles on the odometer) it seemed to always shudder and bang a bit in the rear during the restart process, in fact it almost kept me from buying my 3.5 because of it. Just asking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Would this issue be affected by the stop/start function being used all of the time? I never use mine partly because on the test vehicle at the dealer (a month before I got a new one with 4miles on the odometer) it seemed to always shudder and bang a bit in the rear during the restart process, in fact it almost kept me from buying my 3.5 because of it. Just asking.
I don't think the stop/start has anything to do with the rear diff. I noticed some jerky shifting on mine at low speeds and then the idiot light came on and that was all she wrote..

·
Registered
56 Posts
God I hope not.
It just arrived from the port on Saturday.
I'm REALLY hoping it was fixed.....
I'm disabled, and I don't care what loaners you are all getting, but the loaners here will be Enterprise sub-compacts that won't even fit my wheelchair (the whole reason I bought the GV70) in the first place... LOL

·
Registered
2022 Genesis GV70 Sport Prestige 3.5T AWD in Vic Black with Black Interior
11 Posts
They got the actuator replaced last week, and after a week Of driving with the replaced actuator motor, I can report all is well. Fortunately it did not take the 6 weeks they weee expecting to get the replacement actuator.
The dealership was very good about everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My gv70 has joined the failed eLSD club, made it 4900 miles. The dealer ended up not having a loaner when they said they did after I dropped it off in the service bay, they're now a month out on loaners so I'm screwed for my commute until I can get something and they don't know how long it will take. The young hyundai guy who took my keys said he saw the error message on another vehicle they serviced so it's systemic for vehicles sold in DFW. If you're wanting to modify your GV70 (which I have not, but thought about it) wait 10k+ miles so they still honor the warranty when your eLSD fails. Most reports seem to show they fail early on.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My gv70 has joined the failed eLSD club, made it 4900 miles. The dealer ended up not having a loaner when they said they did after I dropped it off in the service bay, they're now a month out on loaners so I'm screwed for my commute until I can get something and they don't know how long it will take. The young hyundai guy who took my keys said he saw the error message on another vehicle they serviced so it's systemic for vehicles sold in DFW. If you're wanting to modify your GV70 (which I have not, but thought about it) wait 10k+ miles so they still honor the warranty when your eLSD fails. Most reports seem to show they fail early on.
Welcome to the forum @genny70v. Sorry to hear about your GV70. Have they told you how long it's going to take to fix it? Even if they're maxed out on loaners you'd think there'd be a way for them to help you with a rental car or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum @genny70v. Sorry to hear about your GV70. Have they told you how long it's going to take to fix it? Even if they're maxed out on loaners you'd think there'd be a way for them to help you with a rental car or something.
So update on the issue, the error code is P188213 "Motor Wire Electrical Fault in ELSD System", and they are saying the fix for this is to replace the Actuator Assembly part# 47892-4J000. They special ordered the part, 2 weeks shipping time, and they released the vehicle to me saying it's safe to drive. I've parked it in the garage and won't drive it until the part comes in since I'm kind paranoid it might snowball into the more severe issues other folks seem to have had. So far they have been fast, transparent and helpful. I've posted the code and part# here for others to reference in case their techs need help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just joined the forum as my wife and I are interested in the GV70. We like the Prestige package mostly for the wheels but have now learned of the ELSD Issue. Like some have said the fix appears to have been identified but is there a way to definitively know when it’s been eliminated? We plan to order in the Fall, specifically to ensure it’ll be a new build with all updates applied. Would be nice for an update from Hyundai stating that models later than ser# xxxx have been corrected Etc.

Also, I’m curious how robust the fix will be, meaning will it never occur again or is this a bad design? I’m assuming the LSD would be part of the 10/100k power train warranty. Last thing I want to happen is to have to remove tranny and/or other things to repair it.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just joined the forum as my wife and I are interested in the GV70. We like the Prestige package mostly for the wheels but have now learned of the ELSD Issue. Like some have said the fix appears to have been identified but is there a way to definitively know when it’s been eliminated? We plan to order in the Fall, specifically to ensure it’ll be a new build with all updates applied. Would be nice for an update from Hyundai stating that models later than ser# xxxx have been corrected Etc.

Also, I’m curious how robust the fix will be, meaning will it never occur again or is this a bad design? I’m assuming the LSD would be part of the 10/100k power train warranty. Last thing I want to happen is to have to remove tranny and/or other things to repair it.

Thanks for any input.
It's a complex issue, and Genesis hasn't released a TSB on it and neither has NHTSA.
Either would be a "recall" of sorts, the former a voluntary one as it would mean that a significant portion of sold vehicles have bad parts that would be likely to fail.
If the NHTSA gets involved it goes very public... as is with Ford.
Thus far, no recalls or campaigns.

I was made aware, by my dealer while in for service, Genesis has released a checklist to be used on vehicles to determine if there is an impending failure.
In that test, they test the actuator, seals and tolerances between the transmission, AWD and eLSD to make sure things are torqued correctly, etc., and then the fluid of each of the devices checking color and level.

The eLSD seems to have a few fixes,
The most easily resolved is the actuator....
Based on what I've been reading and, of course, and this is just hypothesis, the primary cause is the actuator system - which might actually be a software fix in the control module causing it to fail, in a domino effect which ends in eLSD and/or transmission failure.
If a driver doesn't notice the symptoms (noises, clunking, rough shifting, etc.) then the eLSD will most certainly fail.
Occasional drives with the media off will be a good measure....

I've heard rumblings that people claim the diff's were low on fluid from the factory, but I haven't seen any indication of that being "real" versus suspected....
When they are truly broken, they are low on fluid due to the associated leaks, as the problem gets worse.

Dunno if this helps, but there are 10000's of thousands of the GV70's and GV80's on the road, around the world, I would think that if this is anything like a Ford recall, there would be a six figure vehicle campaign to include the GV80 (same drivetrain).

I wouldn't hesitate buying one because of a few posts.
My dealer has only seen 1 vehicle with the problem, and they're the only service center in Vegas.

My car is at the dealer right now for service, and I requested they check the eLSD.
That's when I learned of the checklist, and thankfully, there is nothing amiss, including the actuator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a complex issue, and Genesis hasn't released a TSB on it and neither has NHTSA.
Either would be a "recall" of sorts, the former a voluntary one as it would mean that a significant portion of sold vehicles have bad parts that would be likely to fail.
If the NHTSA gets involved it goes very public... as is with Ford.
Thus far, no recalls or campaigns.

I was made aware, by my dealer while in for service, Genesis has released a checklist to be used on vehicles to determine if there is an impending failure.
In that test, they test the actuator, seals and tolerances between the transmission, AWD and eLSD to make sure things are torqued correctly, etc., and then the fluid of each of the devices checking color and level.

The eLSD seems to have a few fixes,
The most easily resolved is the actuator....
Based on what I've been reading and, of course, and this is just hypothesis, the primary cause is the actuator system - which might actually be a software fix in the control module causing it to fail, in a domino effect which ends in eLSD and/or transmission failure.
If a driver doesn't notice the symptoms (noises, clunking, rough shifting, etc.) then the eLSD will most certainly fail.
Occasional drives with the media off will be a good measure....

I've heard rumblings that people claim the diff's were low on fluid from the factory, but I haven't seen any indication of that being "real" versus suspected....
When they are truly broken, they are low on fluid due to the associated leaks, as the problem gets worse.

Dunno if this helps, but there are 10000's of thousands of the GV70's and GV80's on the road, around the world, I would think that if this is anything like a Ford recall, there would be a six figure vehicle campaign to include the GV80 (same drivetrain).

I wouldn't hesitate buying one because of a few posts.
My dealer has only seen 1 vehicle with the problem, and they're the only service center in Vegas.

My car is at the dealer right now for service, and I requested they check the eLSD.
That's when I learned of the checklist, and thankfully, there is nothing amiss, including the actuator.
Thanks, Lee, for the thorough response. To your point I’lol be careful not to overreact but will still keep my ear to the ground.

BTW, has the 3.5TT been solid so far? It’s been out a few years now so I’m hoping they dialed it in where it needs to be.

We have a 2015 Genesis with the 3.8 AWD and it’s been flawless which is why we want the GV.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks, Lee, for the thorough response. To your point I’lol be careful not to overreact but will still keep my ear to the ground.

BTW, has the 3.5TT been solid so far? It’s been out a few years now so I’m hoping they dialed it in where it needs to be.

We have a 2015 Genesis with the 3.8 AWD and it’s been flawless which is why we want the GV.

Thanks again.
No worries...
Yes, it's very solid and smooth.....
A bit loud when you get on it, but otherwise I love it.
And when I say loud, I don't mean exhaust sound.... I would love the pipes to sing a bit more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My GV80 3.5L Prestige ended up with the same error message "check limited slip differential" 3 weeks ago with 2400 miles on it and now it's been sitting at the dealership for more than 2 weeks.
I got a GV80 2.0T Prestige loaner so I am not complaining about that but the last update was that they need to replace the LSD assembly, Head unit and the ECU based on what the engineers recommended.
Today they said, the parts should come in next week but last week they said, no ETA for the same parts until late August. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes as planned and I won't have the issue again. But it certainly shook my confedance in Genesis.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts