Genesis GV70 Forum & GV80 Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now in the shop for a week! They want to replace the whole rear differential. They looked at the fluid and it was black and genesis mothership told the dealer to replace the whole thing. Not good as they are telling me 2 months out to get the part. I mentioned the "actuator" and they said it wasn't that. I don't think they know what "it" is but they are going to replace the whole unit. I have contacted Genesis corporate and have been assigned a case number and they assured me they are escalating it whatever that means. If they don't come up with some hard answers this week I will be "escalating" it and that won't be good for them. They put me in G80 loaner so that's good. This is a Hyundai dealership but a high volume Genesis dealer as well and their dedicated Genesis service advisor is very good so I will hope for the best but in today's new screwed up world I have to expect the worst.

Anyone else out there have the idiot light come on for the rear e LSD? I have to think this is not a one off and there will be a TSB soon.
I am experiencing the same exact issue on my 2022 GV70. Called dealer yesterday, first available appointment is Oct.5th, hope it all stays together till then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry you have to go through what I had to go through. This is a major issue on this vehicle and some on the forums want to minimize it as " only being a few cars" which is a load of crap. They should have issued a TSB or at least a recall to check the fluid in the differential by now but they won't do that because they don't want to throw that much shade on their new halo vehicle and they can't guarantee that they can get the parts to fix it. It's a big problem. It's the drive train and as you said the whole rear end of the car has to be torn apart. My entire rear unit was replaced including the "pumpkin". The whole process was a 2 solid months !

My dealer/service people handled it as well as they could and kept me in good loaners starting with a g70 , then upgraded to a g80. I have a bad back injury and requested any SUV even if it was a Hyundai. They eventually got me into a brand new GV80 for the last month. The parts finally tricked in and the put it back together. They did a ceramic coating to ease my pain and over all they did the best they could. This is just an awful time to have this major a repair on a brand new model due to this China/Covid/chip/supply issue. I've put 3000 miles on mine since the repair and so far so good but as much as I like this vehicle it has put a little stink on it. Best of luck on yours..
Are you saying that low fluid in the differential is the cause of the problem with the eLSD that all these people are taking about?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, Lee, for the thorough response. To your point I’lol be careful not to overreact but will still keep my ear to the ground.

BTW, has the 3.5TT been solid so far? It’s been out a few years now so I’m hoping they dialed it in where it needs to be.

We have a 2015 Genesis with the 3.8 AWD and it’s been flawless which is why we want the GV.

Thanks again.
I got a GV 70 3.5 Tubo 1 year ago when they first came out. I think I got the first fully loaded GV70 in Silicon Valley. Love it, but I don't drive it much. I only have 5800 miles on it. So far, no problem. It went in for its year service just last week. No issues identified. I sure hope they checked the issues associated with the eLSD. I didn't learn about dealerships checking the eLSD until today. I should read this forum more often. I think I will go back to the dealership and ask them about this issue and whether they checked my eLSD per the notes provided by this forum thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a complex issue, and Genesis hasn't released a TSB on it and neither has NHTSA.
Either would be a "recall" of sorts, the former a voluntary one as it would mean that a significant portion of sold vehicles have bad parts that would be likely to fail.
If the NHTSA gets involved it goes very public... as is with Ford.
Thus far, no recalls or campaigns.

I was made aware, by my dealer while in for service, Genesis has released a checklist to be used on vehicles to determine if there is an impending failure.
In that test, they test the actuator, seals and tolerances between the transmission, AWD and eLSD to make sure things are torqued correctly, etc., and then the fluid of each of the devices checking color and level.

The eLSD seems to have a few fixes,
The most easily resolved is the actuator....
Based on what I've been reading and, of course, and this is just hypothesis, the primary cause is the actuator system - which might actually be a software fix in the control module causing it to fail, in a domino effect which ends in eLSD and/or transmission failure.
If a driver doesn't notice the symptoms (noises, clunking, rough shifting, etc.) then the eLSD will most certainly fail.
Occasional drives with the media off will be a good measure....

I've heard rumblings that people claim the diff's were low on fluid from the factory, but I haven't seen any indication of that being "real" versus suspected....
When they are truly broken, they are low on fluid due to the associated leaks, as the problem gets worse.

Dunno if this helps, but there are 10000's of thousands of the GV70's and GV80's on the road, around the world, I would think that if this is anything like a Ford recall, there would be a six figure vehicle campaign to include the GV80 (same drivetrain).

I wouldn't hesitate buying one because of a few posts.
My dealer has only seen 1 vehicle with the problem, and they're the only service center in Vegas.

My car is at the dealer right now for service, and I requested they check the eLSD.
That's when I learned of the checklist, and thankfully, there is nothing amiss, including the actuator.
From what I can researched is that there is no TSB on this rather serious issue. I have a 22 GV70 TT and just sweating that I will be hit with the problem eventually. You mentioned a checklist that the dealer has received from Gensis about this problem. Why isn't there a TSB if there is a checklist? But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. In any event, I want to take my GV70 to the service department and tell them to check out the eLSD. It would be really helpful if I could tell them about this checklist. Do you have any official information concerning this checklist that you could share? Did your dealer tell you about the checklist?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are the 2023’s having this issue as well. Put a deposit on a 2023 3.5 Prestige, however I am seriously thinking about changing to the 2.5. The salesperson said he checked with his service department and claims there are very few issues with the elsd. Somehow I do not believe him.

·
Registered
2022 Genesis GV70 Sport Prestige 3.5T AWD in Vic Black with Black Interior
11 Posts
I am in the shop for the 4th time related to eLSD issues on my 22 GV70 3.5 Sport Prestige. At this point I have a case open with Genesis Consumer Affairs. If they can't correct the problem at this point, I have asked that they replace the vehicle. It has 6500 miles and has had an actuator, the entire eLSD assembly and a computer replaced in the previous attempts. They are now replacing the entire rear assembly (not entirely clear on what that means at the moment), which I thought had been done previously. But I now have a Genesis NA rep working on the issue and we have a direct line to Genesis engineering to figure out what is wrong. Hopefully this time around they get it corrected. I don't want to go to a replacement of the vehicle, since the 23 model has been de-conteneted on features due to chip availability, so no HDA II, just HDA, and I would lose the suede seats, as that is not available for the 23 model.

Vehicle has been in the shop 9 weeks total since is was purchased in November 21. Love the vehicle, but not a particularly happy camper

61 - 69 of 69 Posts