Genesis GV Forums banner

Nashville Dealer Nightmare.

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  AJB 
#1 ·
I had the most uniformed, down-market experience when I went to the only Hyundai/Genesis dealer in Nashville. There is no real Genesis dealer. The salesmen mew nothing. The showroom was gross. When I set up the appointment I specifically asked to for a Prestige 3.5 demo. I also asked to be allowed to be able to do it with coming close to me as I and over 70 and have medical issues that put me at high risk for COVID. All explained and told it was no problem. “Car will be waiting for you”. Not even close.
I called on arrival. They said must come inside. I come inside. Nobody is wearing a mask. Where is the car. It’s over there. It’s a basic 2.5. I protest. We have the Manager’s car you can drive. A 3.5, not the Prestige interior. WAKE UP guys. I’ve been a many time Mercedes and BMW owner. Genesis will lose a lot of buyers so long as Hyundai dealers are in charge.
One more disaster, a salesman jumped into the car with me to go over features )which O specifically was scared of. He wasn’t wearing a mask. But said, “Don’t worry, i had COVID a couple of weeks ago.” WTF
I’m out until Genesis gets their dealer act in shape. I love everything else about the GV80.

#2 ·
I had the most uniformed, down-market experience when I went to the only Hyundai/Genesis dealer in Nashville.
This has been a concern of mine and so far I've had similar experiences. I have zero confidence that I'll be satisfied with the "Genesis Experience" (i.e. Genesis Valet, etc.). Until they're a stand alone dealership they'll be like any other "down-market" experience.

Very-very nice SUV, but so far the dealerships are the major impediment.

#4 ·
Until they're a stand alone dealership they'll be like any other "down-market" experience.
I don't need Genesis to be stand-alone, just have an identity within the Hyundai dealerships. Dedicate 1/4 - 1/3 floor space to Genesis products and branding. Have an entrance under the signage outside so it feels like you're walking into a Genesis space. Maybe a separate lane in the service department.

If it's too much to make Genesis stand alone, then upgrade the Hyundai experience so the Genesis experience doesn't feel as down market. There's no reason a Hyundai dealership can't feel like an Acura dealership.

#3 ·
I had the most uniformed, down-market experience when I went to the only Hyundai/Genesis dealer in Nashville.
The building that Hyundai is in now used to be Jim Reed Chevrolet. It was one of the hundreds of GM dealerships whose contracts were not renewed in 2010 due to the market crash in 2008. Lasted 80 years. Hyundai used to share space w/ Subaru on the other side of that building which I believe was built 15-20 years ago. As usual, Hyundai inherited the "80s GM" space

But "Genesis of Nashville" is a good example of Hyundai not using any Genesis branding on their buildings.

#5 ·
Don’t get me wrong, I love the GV80,
but the Hyundai dealers are not a good fit, with or without a separate entrance. It is SO FAR OFF the much touted Genesis Experience that is promised and necessary. It’s a pity. Same thing is happening in other countries. Australian feedback on the dealers is really bad. No Genesis brand culture exists. If they don’t get that right soon, their one chance at a positive first impression is vapor. It’s hard to climb up from that far down.

#6 ·
It has so much to do with the specific dealership. For every horror story, there is a positive one. You're just stuck with what ya got locally unfortunately. I've had great experiences with Kia, bought a Stinger from Cumberland Kia in 2018, and they were ALWAYS great despite many horror stories from other owners, they definitely gave me a better treatment. Not sure if they have a Hyundai/Genesis affiliate, but might be worth the drive. I moved to Central Oregon, and my new dealer is fantastic as well. I went to the Hyundai/Genesis in town to check it out the GV80. They sent out the actual Genesis expert, he had all of the knowledge, was very transparent, and friendly. I'm holding off for the GV70 Sport so I can have somewhat similar performance as the Stinger. My point is, it's dealer specific, don't write off the brand because of a shitty dealer.

#7 ·
There are Hyundai Genesis dealer that do it correctly. This past Saturday went to Genesis of Hattiesburg Mississippi. and bought a 3.5 Prestige they had on the lot. A wonderful buying experience. This is after dealing with Wilson Genesis in Jackson for almost a year and they have not clue when a car would be delivered. You just have to find the correct dealership.

#8 ·
That’s good to know. $70k is a lot of money no matter what. I want to know tha with a higher end new nameplate that someone will be there. There’s no Henesis dealer near Nashville yet. Ill
wait fir that to happen. You are right, you found the right dealer. MESSAGE TO: Genesis. Send help to Nashville right away.

#9 ·
I feel your pain. Walking into some Hyundai or Kia dealerships is like going back in time. I test drove an X5 about a month ago. I had my son with me. We were so impressed by the salesman I sent him a $50 gift card to Lowe's. Dealership was like walking into a 5 star hotel and the reception was great. I have owned Porsche's and BMW's. I know the upside and the downside. After that we test drove the Genesis at a Hyundai dealer. Physical structure is not great, however the salesman was very nice and cooperative. I did order the Genesis Prestige 3.5 and am hopeful that real Genesis buildings come online now that they are starting to get some interesting products in the pipeline. Hopefully, your experience will get back to Genesis as it happens far to often as I look at some of these forums.

#11 ·
I had the most uniformed, down-market experience when I went to the only Hyundai/Genesis dealer in Nashville. There is no real Genesis dealer. The salesmen mew nothing. The showroom was gross. When I set up the appointment I specifically asked to for a Prestige 3.5 demo. I also asked to be allowed to be able to do it with coming close to me as I and over 70 and have medical issues that put me at high risk for COVID. All explained and told it was no problem. “Car will be waiting for you”. Not even close.
I called on arrival. They said must come inside. I come inside. Nobody is wearing a mask. Where is the car. It’s over there. It’s a basic 2.5. I protest. We have the Manager’s car you can drive. A 3.5, not the Prestige interior. WAKE UP guys. I’ve been a many time Mercedes and BMW owner. Genesis will lose a lot of buyers so long as Hyundai dealers are in charge.
One more disaster, a salesman jumped into the car with me to go over features )which O specifically was scared of. He wasn’t wearing a mask. But said, “Don’t worry, i had COVID a couple of weeks ago.” WTF
I’m out until Genesis gets their dealer act in shape. I love everything else about the GV80.
Genesis definitely needs to entirely separate themselves from Hyundai if they want to really compete with other premium brands. I wasn't treated like I should have been treated when purchasing a $72,000 vehicle.

#13 ·
Ultimately the car itself has to be what you like. That being said I expect a level of service to be equivalent to its cost. In this case when I shell out $72,000 for a vehicle I expect the salesperson (who's making a commission on my purchase based on the price of the vehicle) to earn the sale. My entire career has been in sales and customer service is crucial to the success of any company. Otherwise the majority of consumers will spend their money elsewhere, especially when there's plenty of competition to choose from including other Genesis dealers not that far away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.