Genesis GV70 Forum & GV80 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my GV-70 in August after reading all the reviews, I knew it was what I wanted. Got lucky and found it in the color combo and model I wanted...but now I am having battery issues because I don't drive it everyday...WHAT. No one said that my driving habits had to adapt to the car rather than the car adapting to me. What can i do, I live in a small town and most of my errands fall into the 16 mile round trip range. I am so distraught by this revelation. Does anyone else out there feel this problem? I love the car and want it to work for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought my GV-70 in August after reading all the reviews, I knew it was what I wanted. Got lucky and found it in the color combo and model I wanted...but now I am having battery issues because I don't drive it everyday...WHAT. No one said that my driving habits had to adapt to the car rather than the car adapting to me. What can i do, I live in a small town and most of my errands fall into the 16 mile round trip range. I am so distraught by this revelation. Does anyone else out there feel this problem? I love the car and want it to work for me.
Not sure if not driving much is causing your battery issue. Several GV80 owners were having battery drain and it was determined that they were keeping the keys too close to the vehicle causing them to constantly "talk " to each other which was draining the battery. BTW, there are times when I don't drive my GV80 for several days and I don't have any battery issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I am well past that scenario of keys talking to each other. I just got my car back after 5 weeks waiting for a battery replacement for defective battery. But because of that I am monitoring battery daily with multimeter and it drops a little each day, so I am back to asking what if I don't drive daily or a lot?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh, I am well past that scenario of keys talking to each other. I just got my car back after 5 weeks waiting for a battery replacement for defective battery. But because of that I am monitoring battery daily with multimeter and it drops a little each day, so I am back to asking what if I don't drive daily or a lot?
Hard to believe that it took 5 weeks for a battery replacement. No, actually it's not hard to believe given the multitude of horror stories I've read about Genesis service. I hope the new U.S. COO reads these boards and puts some real effort into improving the sad situation. It needs to happen if Genesis wants to be successful long term and challenge BMW and Mercedes. They've got the product but the service has a long way to catch up. That's my rant for the day!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to believe that it took 5 weeks for a battery replacement. No, actually it's not hard to believe given the multitude of horror stories I've read about Genesis service. I hope the new U.S. COO reads these boards and puts some real effort into improving the sad situation. It needs to happen if Genesis wants to be successful long term and challenge BMW and Mercedes. They've got the product but the service has a long way to catch up. That's my rant for the day!!
🤜👍

·
Registered
536 Posts
Are the multimeter readings still dropping for you @Jimmymoc?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the readings were slowly going down so I did a few things...deleted the digital key app from my phone...car kept talking to phone which I believe is somewhat of a drain. Second took both key fobs and put them in a metal box inside a file cabinet on farthest corner of house because garage is underneath living space and no matter which room I was in still could use commands (talking to one another) and thirdly made sure car was locked which I was told the car is not put completely to sleep unless locked....AND HERE IS THE KICKER, HOOKED THE DANG THING UP TO A BATTERY TENDER!!! Now isn't it a shame I had to go thru all that just to be sure I keep my battery at optimal charge for a long life?! I'm sure it would crank the engine but when it keeps draining like that I didn't want to fool around with it anymore. In the meantime I read a lot of different forums and was amazed at the amount of other car owners(mostly BMW and Corvettes) have the same problem and have decided the battery tender is the way to go. I just happened to already have one so it was not any biggie for me but they are not that expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are siting in the car and turn on the radio after turning the key but without the engine running, you will get a message on the info system warning you that you should not listen to the radio without the engine running. Also the radio turns off automatically after about 5 mins if the ignition system is in only Acc. This tells me the electrical system is really designed on the edge. I read an article about a year ago that indicated that car electrical systems are being pushed to the extreme with the all the sensors and gadgets that are now on the cars. And man does the GV70 have this in spades. The article also indicated that car electrical systems need higher voltage and more amps. But I have not driven my GV70 for a week and the car starts right up. If you still have the problem without the battery charger you could put on a device on one of the battery terminals that with its screw can easily be turned by hand a couple of turns which cuts the current flow. You can actually take the screw with you if you are concerned about the car being stolen. But of course you probably will lose memory for a number of items like the info settings. But I really don't think you should be having a problem. Your issue should not be happening. Did you put a multimeter between the battery and the cable to check what the steady state current flow is when everything in the car is turned off and check the result against the spec. If the current flow is higher than the spec you have a current leak which is draining your battery. Dealer should be forced to fix this under warranty. But this kind of problem is very difficult to track down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there,
Also bought my GV-70 in August. I work from home and rarely drive. We take a couple drives of 200 miles or more since but also have gone a week w/o starting it. Have had no problems what-so-ever and love the car. Hopefully you just got a dud battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree too. I don't think the driving frequency can affect the battery. It's just that if it's been too long, like a few months without driving, it'll be hard to start the car at first. I think you should check to see if you have any habits that affect the battery

1 - 14 of 14 Posts