Genesis GV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Performed the first oil change on my GV80 3.5t. (The instructions given by Hawk375 made the job very straightforward).
This was done at 1100 miles after gently breaking in the vehicle. The oil was sent to Blackstone for analysis. I expected to see elevated levels of copper & iron from bearing and cylinder rings wear in
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Paper
, just not this high at 1100 miles. The other surprise was the very low oil viscosity of the engine factory fill. I’ll follow up with a report at 5000 miles using Amsoil Signature 0w-30

· Registered
2018 Mercedes-Benz GLC AMG 43, 2020 Hyundai Palisade
22 Posts
I like the fact you will be switching to Amsoil. I have used it for years in all my vehicles, including my 2 current vehicles. It is an excellent choice. Once you feel it is broken in, how long will you go between oil changes?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the fact you will be switching to Amsoil. I have used it for years in all my vehicles, including my 2 current vehicles. It is an excellent choice. Once you feel it is broken in, how long will you go between oil changes?
Hi Ron: I usually change the oil in my vehicles every 5000 miles. As to when the vehicle is broken in, that is kind of hard to determine. The Corvettes that I have owned are broken in at 500 miles according to the owners manual. I haven’t found any mention of the topic in the GV80 owners manual. The Genesis Service Advisors I’ve asked say the engines are already broken in.
Personally, I kind of doubt that. Looking at the copper and iron in my first oil sample, I’m glad I took the time to break it in for 1000 miles.
There is another thread on break in period for the GV70. There is supposed to be a 4000 mile break in suggested in the owners manual. That seems long. Maybe someone can verify that.

· Registered
11 Posts
hmmmm…I have over 2000 miles in my new GV80 and not a word was said to me about changing the oil??? What? Aren’t they supposed to notify you when your first service is? I’ve gotten updates via email saying all is well with the vehicle. I’m unclear why you’re changing oil at 1000 mikes?

· Registered
23 Posts
Performed the first oil change on my GV80 3.5t. (The instructions given by Hawk375 made the job very straightforward).
This was done at 1100 miles after gently breaking in the vehicle. The oil was sent to Blackstone for analysis. I expected to see elevated levels of copper & iron from bearing and cylinder rings wear in View attachment 2585 , just not this high at 1100 miles. The other surprise was the very low oil viscosity of the engine factory fill. I’ll follow up with a report at 5000 miles using Amsoil Signature 0w-30
I would expect higher amounts at first oil change considering break in periods. However I would also expect the totals to drop on the second change even with more mileage on it.. Please post your next change I would love to see the results.. Thanks

· Premium Member
2021 Genesis GV80 3.5T AWD Advanced Plus
256 Posts
hmmmm…I have over 2000 miles in my new GV80 and not a word was said to me about changing the oil??? What? Aren’t they supposed to notify you when your first service is? I’ve gotten updates via email saying all is well with the vehicle. I’m unclear why you’re changing oil at 1000 mikes?
Vivian, Genesis does not recommend changing the oil & filter until between 6,000 & 7,500 miles. HOWEVER...Those of us that know engines, mistrust that tremendously, and would feel 1000% better changing the 1st oil @ 1,000-1,500 miles to eliminate the microscopic (hopefully) metal particles that invariably will be present in a brand new engine.

· Registered
11 Posts
Vivian, Genesis does not recommend changing the oil & filter until between 6,000 & 7,500 miles. HOWEVER...Those of us that know engines, mistrust that tremendously, and would feel 1000% better changing the 1st oil @ 1,000-1,500 miles to eliminate the microscopic (hopefully) metal particles that invariably will be present in a brand new engine.
Thank you very much!!!! I had no idea! I will get in that!!!

· Registered
8 Posts
I was browsing around this forum and saw the post about oil. I have to comment because I know first hand what the wrong kind of oil can do.
Caution: Do NOT use a "vogue" sales pitched oil unless you know its calcium content. Anything over .1 ppm will probably cause LSPI.
"Low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI), also known as stochastic pre-ignition (SPI),[1] is a pre-ignition event that occurs in gasoline vehicle engines when there is a premature ignition of the main fuel charge.[2] LSPI is most common in certain turbocharged direct-injection vehicles operating in low-speed and high-load driving conditions.[3]
LSPI events are random and infrequent, and their effects on impacted vehicles can include very high-pressure spikes, loud knocking noises and sometimes catastrophic engine damage.[4]"

FACT. Dealers will deny that engines blew up because of the oil they were using because they are not aware of the science. You can google and find evidence based research from engine builders and researchers on this subject.

I have a friend with a DI Lamborghini who blew his engine. Dealer replaced it under warranty, but the dealer had no clew what happened. I blew up a DI BMW engine on the track in 2009 before LSPI was researched.

Ask the oil vendor if their oil has been approved and tested for low Calcium and DI LSPI and meets the standard SN PLUS or ILSAC GF-6. Beware of some oil manufacturers self serving promotions and ask for their content specifications, specifically calcium content.
I only use Mobil one in all of my 10 vehicles, including my GL70 3.5 prestige. I track most of them.
p.s. I change the oil and filter at 2000 miles and will change every 3000 miles.
Safe racing,
Mike

· Registered
24 Posts
I was browsing around this forum and saw the post about oil. I have to comment because I know first hand what the wrong kind of oil can do.
Caution: Do NOT use a "vogue" sales pitched oil unless you know its calcium content. Anything over .1 ppm will probably cause LSPI.
"Low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI), also known as stochastic pre-ignition (SPI),[1] is a pre-ignition event that occurs in gasoline vehicle engines when there is a premature ignition of the main fuel charge.[2] LSPI is most common in certain turbocharged direct-injection vehicles operating in low-speed and high-load driving conditions.[3]
LSPI events are random and infrequent, and their effects on impacted vehicles can include very high-pressure spikes, loud knocking noises and sometimes catastrophic engine damage.[4]"

FACT. Dealers will deny that engines blew up because of the oil they were using because they are not aware of the science. You can google and find evidence based research from engine builders and researchers on this subject.

I have a friend with a DI Lamborghini who blew his engine. Dealer replaced it under warranty, but the dealer had no clew what happened. I blew up a DI BMW engine on the track in 2009 before LSPI was researched.

Ask the oil vendor if their oil has been approved and tested for low Calcium and DI LSPI and meets the standard SN PLUS or ILSAC GF-6. Beware of some oil manufacturers self serving promotions and ask for their content specifications, specifically calcium content.
I only use Mobil one in all of my 10 vehicles, including my GL70 3.5 prestige. I track most of them.
p.s. I change the oil and filter at 2000 miles and will change every 3000 miles.
Safe racing,
Mike
API SN Plus oils reformulated their detergent additive formulas to mitigate LSPI events. Also, these engines running at these pretty tame boost levels would be highly unlikely result in an LSPI event under normal driving conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.