Genesis GV Forums banner

Some people are concerned about the 22"

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MLB007 
#1 ·
wheels. Is this a valid issue? Thanks.

#8 ·
For what it worth, I recently swapped my winter set to the summer (22") set. What I can tell you is that it was a very difficult job. Maybe the dealer over-torqued the wheel nuts but it would have been impossible for me to change on the side of the road. We used about 4 feet of breaker bar and could not break many of the nuts free. We had to use an impact gun. Also those 22" tires are heavy! I was disappointed with lack of spare tire but now could not imagine having to do a roadside change and a little more content with the tire mobility kit (although still concerned about its limitations).

#10 · (Edited)
The different wheels/tire combo options have to be same circumference (or close) to keep the speedo and anti lock brakes in calibration. That 22" setup is going to be about the same height as the 19" setup, but more rim and less tire.
If you have 3 or 4" of extra rim height then you have to use much lower profile tires (short side walls - the part you see when you look at a tire on a car)) to keep the dimensions the same. The problem is that much shorter side walls is much less cushion from the tire for the wheel when you hit a pothole. How much sidewall determines how much that sidewall can flex and absorb impacts. The shorter sidewalls have to be much stiffer and thus let much more impact energy through to the rim. Main risk being bent rims, main pain being rougher ride all the time. It's a very real risk here in the freezing parts of the country. Not so much south or far west where it doesn't freeze and bust the roads up.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.