Genesis GV70 Forum & GV80 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
there are a number conditions for the feature to work:

from owners manual,2021 GV80 Owners Manual:

ISG System Operation Prerequisite for activation ISG system operates in the following situations. • The driver's seatbelt is fastened • The driver's door and hood are closed • The brake vacuum pressure is adequate • The battery sensor is activated and the battery is sufficiently charged • Outside temperature is not too low or too high • The vehicle is driven over a constant speed and stops • The climate control system satisfies the conditions • The vehicle is sufficiently warmed up • ISG related parts are working properly • The incline is gradual • The steering wheel is turned less than 180 degrees and then the vehicle stops
Thanks, I didn't catch that in the owners manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anybody had the same experience as I have with the auto off/on feature in that it doesn't always shut down the engine when stopped? There's plenty of times even when it's turned on and I'm stopped at a traffic light or stop sign and the engine stays running. Then there's other times when it does turn the engine off. I don't understand why. Is this happening to anyone else?
[/QUOTE

My Lincoln also has auto start/stop. I've found when I slow, after complete stop but within a half second before engine kills, if I slightly release brake and creep a few inches then reapply brake engine will remain on during that stop. You can do this without passenger/wife even noticing...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have it in my 2019 Lincoln Nautilus and hate it. AC compressor shuts off so you can feel call warming up after about 20 seconds at a stop light. Plus average daily starter use goes from about 5 times to 30 times in city traffic. All this to save a few ounces of gas - stupid - strictly a way for them to improve EPA mileage. Lincoln has dedicated button to disable - hope don't have to go down 3 levels of menu to disable on GV80.
The GV80 hasa button on the dash, to the left of the steering column

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also looked for a way to disable the start stop of the engine. Everything I read and even the dealer said you had to push the button ever time you start the car. Today I noticed that the car was not turning off anymore. The light on the button was off, but when I came to a stop, the light went on and the car did not stop running. If it was me that changed something, I have no idea what it was. So it seems there is a way to turn it off. I just wish I could share the way to do it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I also looked for a way to disable the start stop of the engine. Everything I read and even the dealer said you had to push the button ever time you start the car. Today I noticed that the car was not turning off anymore. The light on the button was off, but when I came to a stop, the light went on and the car did not stop running. If it was me that changed something, I have no idea what it was. So it seems there is a way to turn it off. I just wish I could share the way to do it.
My GV80 rarely does the idle stop and go. I just don’t drive far enough for it to meet all parameters. If I take it on a 100 mile trip it will start again. Then it will stop a few days later. So if you don’t drive much or very far this could be why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My GV80 rarely does the idle stop and go. I just don’t drive far enough for it to meet all parameters. If I take it on a 100 mile trip it will start again. Then it will stop a few days later. So if you don’t drive much or very far this could be why.
Hmm, that could be. I had just got back from trip where I didn't drive the car for a week

·
Registered
40 Posts
Theoretically, wouldn’t the excessive frequency of cycling the engine off and on also cause excessive and premature strain and wear and tear and shorten the life of the Engine Starter Motor? Any money saved on gas would eventually be spent on buying and installing a new starter perhaps sooner because of the extra work it has to do. And as far as the environment is concerned, the manufacture of more new starters would also require use of additional natural resources and energy. I’m just armchair speculating (which I’m prone to do when I’m not armchair philosophizing). What say you?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Theoretically, wouldn’t the excessive frequency of cycling the engine off and on also cause excessive and premature strain and wear and tear and shorten the life of the Engine Starter Motor? Any money saved on gas would eventually be spent on buying and installing a new starter perhaps sooner because of the extra work it has to do. And as far as the environment is concerned, the manufacture of more new starters would also require use of additional natural resources and energy. I’m just armchair speculating (which I’m prone to do when I’m not armchair philosophizing). What say you?
I had originally thought the same thing, but have since learned (from talking to GM engineers) that today’s vehicles with start/stop come with “beefed up” starters, batteries, and wiring. So, yes, the additional starting does put a strain on components, but those parts are heavy duty by comparison to parts on a non start/stop vehicle, so the net result is they will last just as long since they were engineered to handle the additional demands place upon them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
B b b b but fortunately, I checked just now and my 10 year “The Mechanic Platinum Mechanical Repair Service Contract” from the dealer (and promised to be honored by all Genesis dealers) says: “Starter motor and drive and starter solenoid” are covered under the “Electrical” portion of the contract. I admit I did flinch for a moment and hoped it was covered. There are only four exclusion categories to the warranty and they consist of normal maintenance related items like light bulbs, tires, brakes etc. Whew! Thanks for the heads up. I feel better now knowing it is included.

·
Registered
6 Posts
B b b b but fortunately, I checked just now and my 10 year “The Mechanic Platinum Mechanical Repair Service Contract” from the dealer (and promised to be honored by all Genesis dealers) says: “Starter motor and drive and starter solenoid” are covered under the “Electrical” portion of the contract. I admit I did flinch for a moment and hoped it was covered. There are only four exclusion categories to the warranty and they consist of normal maintenance related items like light bulbs, tires, brakes etc. Whew! Thanks for the heads up. I feel better now knowing it is included.
"The Mechanic' is NOT a Genesis or Hyundai product, but rather just one more commercial 3rd party provider. I have no idea whether or not they are any good, but after several negative experiences with these types of companies over the years, the only extended warranty packages I will purchase are direct from the manufacturer.

Being in Canada we don't get the 10 year power train warranty for some reason, we have a 5 year 100,000 km (about 60K miles) coverage for the power train and a somewhat shorter coverage for some of the other things.

I was told that the GV80 coverage in Canada, including connected services, roadside assistance and no charge maintenance, but NOT Sirius/XM can be purchased as an extension to 8 years from the in-service date at a cost of $4,200 in Canadian funds. I have yet to see the details of the policy - then again I'm only getting my GV80 this week.

Here is a review of the US offering:

·
Registered
40 Posts
"The Mechanic' is NOT a Genesis or Hyundai product, but rather just one more commercial 3rd party provider. I have no idea whether or not they are any good, but after several negative experiences with these types of companies over the years, the only extended warranty packages I will purchase are direct from the manufacturer.

Being in Canada we don't get the 10 year power train warranty for some reason, we have a 5 year 100,000 km (about 60K miles) coverage for the power train and a somewhat shorter coverage for some of the other things.

I was told that the GV80 coverage in Canada, including connected services, roadside assistance and no charge maintenance, but NOT Sirius/XM can be purchased as an extension to 8 years from the in-service date at a cost of $4,200 in Canadian funds. I have yet to see the details of the policy - then again I'm only getting my GV80 this week.

Here is a review of the US offering:

Thank you for your information. Best of luck driving with your new Genesis. Upon receiving ownership of your fantastic high tech GV80 Vehicle, you will truly be worthy and certified as Tech God.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I disabled the ISG (idle stop and go) by placing a small piece of credit card under the button which is used to disable the feature every time you start the car. This holds the button in the depressed position all the time. I have had this for at least a month and it works perfectly, and I do not believe there have been any negative side effects to this. The piece I use is cut to about 1/2" x 1/2".

·
Registered
40 Posts
I disabled the ISG (idle stop and go) by placing a small piece of credit card under the button which is used to disable the feature every time you start the car. This holds the button in the depressed position all the time. I have had this for at least a month and it works perfectly, and I do not believe there have been any negative side effects to this. The piece I use is cut to about 1/2" x 1/2".
Interesting. Let us know how it works over time please if there is anything else we need to know regarding how it works (ie over a month’s time). Thank you.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts