Genesis GV70 Forum & GV80 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Stumbled on this on the Genesis.ca FB page. It's a promotion with TSC (The Shopping Channel, renamed Today's Shopping Choice, Americans think Home Shopping Network HSN). Buy a registration fee from TSC.ca for $250 (or 4 equal payments of $62.50) between Jul 7-Jul 15/21. Then reserve a GV70 (I think that's what "enter into a purchase agreement" means) by Aug 15/21. If your Reservation results in a Purchase, you get:
  • $750 TSC gift card
  • $1250 accessories credit with Genesis
  • a GV70
At first I thought this was a $250 refundable deposit (instead of $1000, which the dealer told me), but the way it's worded it sounds like the $250 is refunded Aug 15 whether you make a reservation or not. It does say "Reservation Fee will be held until the customer enters into a purchase agreement ... or until August 15, 2021 at 11:59 pm. ET, whichever occurs first." and "All Reservation Fees will be refunded in full after August 15, 2021." so maybe they'll still want the $1000 refundable deposit, and the $250 is just a trigger for the $2000 in overpriced freebies.

TSC (or HSN in US, not saying they're doing it just providing an equivalent) would seem a strange place to be promoting a $50K vehicle, but if it works why not? If I'm reading it right, that the $250 is separate from a $1000 deposit when you reserve, I'd be tempted to do this to get the $2000 in "freebies", even if I only assign (say) $1000 value to them. Kind of like going through an affiliate site (e.g. eBates.com or TopCashBack.com) rather than directly, if it gets something in return.

Any thoughts? Would anyone consider doing this ("I bought my new Genesis GV70 on The Shopping Channel")? Am I missing something do you think?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Stumbled on this on the Genesis.ca FB page. It's a promotion with TSC (The Shopping Channel, renamed Today's Shopping Choice, Americans think Home Shopping Network HSN). Buy a registration fee from TSC.ca for $250 (or 4 equal payments of $62.50) between Jul 7-Jul 15/21. Then reserve a GV70 (I think that's what "enter into a purchase agreement" means) by Aug 15/21. If your Reservation results in a Purchase, you get:
  • $750 TSC gift card
  • $1250 accessories credit with Genesis
  • a GV70
At first I thought this was a $250 refundable deposit (instead of $1000, which the dealer told me), but the way it's worded it sounds like the $250 is refunded Aug 15 whether you make a reservation or not. It does say "Reservation Fee will be held until the customer enters into a purchase agreement ... or until August 15, 2021 at 11:59 pm. ET, whichever occurs first." and "All Reservation Fees will be refunded in full after August 15, 2021." so maybe they'll still want the $1000 refundable deposit, and the $250 is just a trigger for the $2000 in overpriced freebies.

TSC (or HSN in US, not saying they're doing it just providing an equivalent) would seem a strange place to be promoting a $50K vehicle, but if it works why not? If I'm reading it right, that the $250 is separate from a $1000 deposit when you reserve, I'd be tempted to do this to get the $2000 in "freebies", even if I only assign (say) $1000 value to them. Kind of like going through an affiliate site (e.g. eBates.com or TopCashBack.com) rather than directly, if it gets something in return.

Any thoughts? Would anyone consider doing this ("I bought my new Genesis GV70 on The Shopping Channel")? Am I missing something do you think?
Hi, I stumbled across the same promotion and called to verify the terms the offer with my local Genesis dealer.Funny enough, they initially weren't aware of the promo and followed up with head office...sure enough it is a legitimate promo and Genesiss currently isn't providing any incentives with the purchase of the GV70. Given I'm interested in purchasing one I may take advantage of the deal seeing the reservation fee is refundable regardless of purchase or not. Are you interested in owning a GV70?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yes I'm looking at the GV70, but not too interested in the 3.5TT. Drove it a couple of weeks ago (because it's all there is) and it feels like excessive power for its own sake (as I posted above, yes the 260HP Outback or 277HP Santa Fe are also excessive, but somehow I can accept myself wanting that :) ). In this case I could be comfortable buying 300HP GV70 where I might not be comfortable buying 375HP. I could surprise myself.

Another factor is the 3.5TT had an uncomfortably rough ride over a local street in moderate repair. I suspect the 21" wheels (255/40 tires) contributed to that, and I hope a 235/55 would be tolerable. I have 225/60R17 now, and I haven't found the trend to skinnier tires attractive; that they'd also be less comfortable would just be s*** icing on the t*** cake. :(

The GV70 2.5T is a vehicle where each trim level gives a few things I want, it's almost like they do it on purpose. ;) But that's not true of every vehicle we've considered, typically I look at the features gained going from #2 to top tier and I'm scratching my head wondering why I would (e.g. Subaru Forester, Acura RDX). But in this case, even going from Advanced Plus to Prestige, I can see features I'd want (willing to pay for them is another question, but that's going to be the case with a GV70 period -- OTOH, "in for a penny, in for a pound", or as they say about yachts, "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" as I wonder what insurance on this thing will cost). It's interesting that the Acura RDX seems to top out at C$8K LESS than the GV70 2.5T (though gas will cost slightly more).

Local dealer says they may have 2.5T on the lot by end of July for test driving. Given the timeframe of this TSC offer, I'm thinking it's worth paying a refundable $250 by Jul 15, for the right to pay a refundable $1000 by Aug 15, to order a vehicle for delivery who-knows-when. Hopefully I can test drive a 2.5T and pick a colour combination before Aug 15 (or I'll order anyway, and cancel the order if I dislike the vehicle on a test drive). I'm not totally surprised they weren't aware of the promotion, in some ways I think it could be entirely TSC's. In the Affiliate business, apart from ordinary Cashback on a purchase there's also "Bounty", where the affiliate gets a fixed amount for beating the bushes for a new customer. eBates (or TCB, GCR) will typically pass some of that on, e.g. "$15 for signing up for Amazon Prime" would to me be a Bounty. Perhaps TSC (or Rogers, who owns TSC) has an arrangement with Genesis or Hyundai and gets a (say) $4000 bounty for each referral who buys a vehicle, then they pass on half of that in the form of TSC and Genesis credits. I wonder if anyone else out there is offering a referral incentive to buy a GV70.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks, yes I'm looking at the GV70, but not too interested in the 3.5TT. Drove it a couple of weeks ago (because it's all there is) and it feels like excessive power for its own sake (as I posted above, yes the 260HP Outback or 277HP Santa Fe are also excessive, but somehow I can accept myself wanting that :) ). In this case I could be comfortable buying 300HP GV70 where I might not be comfortable buying 375HP. I could surprise myself.

Another factor is the 3.5TT had an uncomfortably rough ride over a local street in moderate repair. I suspect the 21" wheels (255/40 tires) contributed to that, and I hope a 235/55 would be tolerable. I have 225/60R17 now, and I haven't found the trend to skinnier tires attractive; that they'd also be less comfortable would just be s*** icing on the t*** cake. :(

The GV70 2.5T is a vehicle where each trim level gives a few things I want, it's almost like they do it on purpose. ;) But that's not true of every vehicle we've considered, typically I look at the features gained going from #2 to top tier and I'm scratching my head wondering why I would (e.g. Subaru Forester, Acura RDX). But in this case, even going from Advanced Plus to Prestige, I can see features I'd want (willing to pay for them is another question, but that's going to be the case with a GV70 period -- OTOH, "in for a penny, in for a pound", or as they say about yachts, "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" as I wonder what insurance on this thing will cost). It's interesting that the Acura RDX seems to top out at C$8K LESS than the GV70 2.5T (though gas will cost slightly more).

Local dealer says they may have 2.5T on the lot by end of July for test driving. Given the timeframe of this TSC offer, I'm thinking it's worth paying a refundable $250 by Jul 15, for the right to pay a refundable $1000 by Aug 15, to order a vehicle for delivery who-knows-when. Hopefully I can test drive a 2.5T and pick a colour combination before Aug 15 (or I'll order anyway, and cancel the order if I dislike the vehicle on a test drive). I'm not totally surprised they weren't aware of the promotion, in some ways I think it could be entirely TSC's. In the Affiliate business, apart from ordinary Cashback on a purchase there's also "Bounty", where the affiliate gets a fixed amount for beating the bushes for a new customer. eBates (or TCB, GCR) will typically pass some of that on, e.g. "$15 for signing up for Amazon Prime" would to me be a Bounty. Perhaps TSC (or Rogers, who owns TSC) has an arrangement with Genesis or Hyundai and gets a (say) $4000 bounty for each referral who buys a vehicle, then they pass on half of that in the form of TSC and Genesis credits. I wonder if anyone else out there is offering a referral incentive to buy a GV70.

I had the same experience with the test drive of the 3.5TT and feel the 2.5TT with the 2nd trim level (Advanced) will suit my needs. My local dealer said the 2.5’s should arrive between September-October however, with the previous ore-orders and now the TSC promo registrants who knows which list will take precedence in receiving the vehicle? This will be my first experience with pre-ordering a vehicle and there appears to be possibilities of delays in shipment of them. As we already have an SUV I may opt for a G70 but the GV70 keeps calling my name! I am going to purchase the TSC offer as there’s nothing to lose given it’s refundable after August 15th. This way I can still weigh my options and not miss out in the event I choose to purchase. I haven’t heard of any other offers/promos.
Other than the Outback and Santa Fe are there any other SUV’s in your radar? I was looking at the Mercedes GLC300 but can’t justify the price

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had the same experience with the test drive of the 3.5TT and feel the 2.5TT with the 2nd trim level (Advanced) will suit my needs. My local dealer said the 2.5’s should arrive between September-October however, with the previous ore-orders and now the TSC promo registrants who knows which list will take precedence in receiving the vehicle? This will be my first experience with pre-ordering a vehicle and there appears to be possibilities of delays in shipment of them. As we already have an SUV I may opt for a G70 but the GV70 keeps calling my name! I am going to purchase the TSC offer as there’s nothing to lose given it’s refundable after August 15th. This way I can still weigh my options and not miss out in the event I choose to purchase. I haven’t heard of any other offers/promos.
Other than the Outback and Santa Fe are there any other SUV’s in your radar? I was looking at the Mercedes GLC300 but can’t justify the price
Welcome to the forum @Dodd! The only other competitor I'd consider that isn't German would be a Lexus NX or RX. But that really depends on if you like Lexus' styling.

That Shopping Channel deal is really interesting. Kind of reminds me of the Costco deals that Ford does sometimes. If there's no other deal to be had with the deal then it's not bad for some free accessories.

·
Registered
624 Posts
What driving conditions did you test it under? Did you try overtaking other vehicles and even speeding up when merging onto highways? Curious to know your take on its get-up-and-go power.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Deadline for the TSC offer is Thu Jul 15 at 1159pm ET. I went ahead and did the TSC offer, I figure it's worth the risk even if there's only a small chance I'll buy a 2.5T. I don't really know how likely that is, as without knowing the delivery times it's impossible to predict. At some point I'll narrow it down either to some other vehicle I prefer, or the GV70 and something else 2nd (the latter can only happen after I drive a 2.5T). If delivery is slow enough I could possibly end up getting my 2nd choice. But that will happen either way, and $1250 in Genesis accessories (plus $750 in TSC credit) is better than nothing.

Paid the full $250 to TSC, I debated taking their "4 payments of $62.50" offer, I don't really understand that because they can only have taken 1 or 2 payments when it's time to refund. But I didn't want another complication. And the offer says in one place you get the $250 back when you sign a purchase agreement (which I assume is the $1000-refundable request to get one -- does anyone know for sure?), or Aug 15, whichever comes first. It also says all will be refunded after Aug 15.

feel the 2.5TT with the 2nd trim level (Advanced) will suit my needs.
On the 2.5T, I think the Advanced would be my minimum, and each of the better trim levels gives me at least 1 thing I'd like (not considering if I want to pay for that, but we're keeping that out of the equation until such time as we know GV70 or something comparably priced is top choice -- only then we'll decide whether to splurge on GV70 (or RDX, or NX, or whatever), or compromise and get (most likely of the GV70 alternatives) an Outback. I'm going to pay closer attention to legroom in the GV70 and in the other vehicles we visit or revisit, I think in some cases I said "it's okay" when I meant "it's tolerable" which is very different than "it's nice, and I could move forward to tolerable to accommodate someone in the back seat". That said, the top RDX is C$8000 less than the top GV70 2.5T, haven't studied enough to know if the Genesis is better. On the GV70 2.5T, I want Advanced to replace leatherette with ventilated leather, heated rear seats, rear AC. From Advanced Plus I want HUD, Blind View, and Surround View displays. From Prestige I want Driver's Cushion Extension and Remote Parking Assist (primarily F-B). Of all the other features, the only things I'd remove if I could, are 19" wheels and the sunroof. Pretty much all the other upgrades I can take or leave.

... with the previous pre-orders and now the TSC promo registrants who knows which list will take precedence in receiving the vehicle?
If I had to guess (and it's all I can do), I'd guess anyone signing up through TSC will be in the same queue as not, and with the same priority. That it's just a way to get people to notice, and the $2000 kickback (or whatever it actually costs TSC) comes out of whatever commission they're getting. Definitely guessing.

Process started by trying to decide whether to get an Outback or Forester, quickly got complicated. :)
  • Compiled a list of every SUV on the market that I could find.
  • Filtered out based on size (min cargo capacity, min legroom and headroom, max length, some ridiculously high max $).
  • Moved to a spreadsheet capturing key metrics and features for everything model+trim level that had specific must-have (or really-want) features:
    • Cloth seats, or leather with ventilation
    • Power driver's seat (power front-passenger seat if possible)
    • Rear AC vent(s)
    • High safety rating
  • Visited to check comfort in person (sometimes drove if time and inclination):
    • Driver comfort, leg shoulder and hip room
    • Rear seat comfort
    • Ability to get in and out, front and rear, including not too high not too low (we have some family members with mobility issues)
    • Usability of the controls (knobs, buttons, switches, displays, etc.)
An amazing number of cars have been cramped (too little leg, shoulder, and hip room) contrary to what the specs say. Not sure why.

Still in the running are (in no particular order): Subaru Forester, Subaru Outback, Hyundai Tucson Hybrid, Genesis GV70 2.5T, Honda CR-V (not 2021, maybe hypothetical 2022 if they refresh), Acura RDX, Hyundai Santa Fe 2.5T, Lexus NX (probably not 2021, maybe 2022 if they refresh), and BMW X3, Audi Q5, MB GLC, Infiniti QX50, the last 4 having done no real research (so they're neither rejected nor in the running yet). This is obviously a mixed bag, some models with engines only in the 180-190HP range, and others >250HP. Some with MSRP just over C$40K, others with MSRP close or over C$60K. All the first 8 in that list are nice vehicles and I'd probably be happy with any of them. The Outback, Forester, Santa Fe, and Rogue are the clear winners for driver legroom, though the Rogue felt cramped overall. GV70 spec is really tight, it didn't feel as tight as the specs imply but still a bit crowded. But there's something that grabs my attention and keeps pulling me back. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't pay a lot of attention to what I might be able to do with the credits (C$750 TSC gift card, $1250 Genesis accessory credit). Figured the TSC $750 GC was probably worth about $350-$500 (either buy $750 worth of stuff I'd normally pay half that for, or buy and sell, or sell the card), I did that recently with The Source (née Radio Shack), took a $200 GC instead of $100 prepaid MasterCard, bought stuff on sale and resold for about $160. Yesterday for fun we browsed the TSC site, and I can't believe the quality of what they sell (I'm being polite). I'm not sure I can find $750 to spend, maybe on Ring doorbells and resell for half price.

I also started looking at the C$1250 Genesis accessories credit, I could literally buy every accessory I would have the slightest interest in, and unless it includes tires or tinting, not hit $1250. Typically I'd buy accessories (even OEM accessories) online for less.

Not saying this wasn't worth the minimal effort I put in to get the TSC promo, but not sure I'll even get $1000 of value out of the $2000 credit. That's pretty sad. Or am I overlooking something that would be a good deal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Dodd! The only other competitor I'd consider that isn't German would be a Lexus NX or RX. But that really depends on if you like Lexus' styling.

That Shopping Channel deal is really interesting. Kind of reminds me of the Costco deals that Ford does sometimes. If there's no other deal to be had with the deal then it's not bad for some free accessories.
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the welcome! I found it handled well on and off the highway. The only concern I had was I didn’t realize I was driving it in sport+ mode throughout the test drive so it sounded a bit rough upon slowing down to stop at a stop sign. The pick up in the 2.5 is more than enough for me. Has anyone moved forward with signing into an agreement for the GV70! Any update on the arrivals of 2.5?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Deadline for the TSC offer is Thu Jul 15 at 1159pm ET. I went ahead and did the TSC offer, I figure it's worth the risk even if there's only a small chance I'll buy a 2.5T. I don't really know how likely that is, as without knowing the delivery times it's impossible to predict. At some point I'll narrow it down either to some other vehicle I prefer, or the GV70 and something else 2nd (the latter can only happen after I drive a 2.5T). If delivery is slow enough I could possibly end up getting my 2nd choice. But that will happen either way, and $1250 in Genesis accessories (plus $750 in TSC credit) is better than nothing.

Paid the full $250 to TSC, I debated taking their "4 payments of $62.50" offer, I don't really understand that because they can only have taken 1 or 2 payments when it's time to refund. But I didn't want another complication. And the offer says in one place you get the $250 back when you sign a purchase agreement (which I assume is the $1000-refundable request to get one -- does anyone know for sure?), or Aug 15, whichever comes first. It also says all will be refunded after Aug 15.

On the 2.5T, I think the Advanced would be my minimum, and each of the better trim levels gives me at least 1 thing I'd like (not considering if I want to pay for that, but we're keeping that out of the equation until such time as we know GV70 or something comparably priced is top choice -- only then we'll decide whether to splurge on GV70 (or RDX, or NX, or whatever), or compromise and get (most likely of the GV70 alternatives) an Outback. I'm going to pay closer attention to legroom in the GV70 and in the other vehicles we visit or revisit, I think in some cases I said "it's okay" when I meant "it's tolerable" which is very different than "it's nice, and I could move forward to tolerable to accommodate someone in the back seat". That said, the top RDX is C$8000 less than the top GV70 2.5T, haven't studied enough to know if the Genesis is better. On the GV70 2.5T, I want Advanced to replace leatherette with ventilated leather, heated rear seats, rear AC. From Advanced Plus I want HUD, Blind View, and Surround View displays. From Prestige I want Driver's Cushion Extension and Remote Parking Assist (primarily F-B). Of all the other features, the only things I'd remove if I could, are 19" wheels and the sunroof. Pretty much all the other upgrades I can take or leave.

If I had to guess (and it's all I can do), I'd guess anyone signing up through TSC will be in the same queue as not, and with the same priority. That it's just a way to get people to notice, and the $2000 kickback (or whatever it actually costs TSC) comes out of whatever commission they're getting. Definitely guessing.

Process started by trying to decide whether to get an Outback or Forester, quickly got complicated. :)
  • Compiled a list of every SUV on the market that I could find.
  • Filtered out based on size (min cargo capacity, min legroom and headroom, max length, some ridiculously high max $).
  • Moved to a spreadsheet capturing key metrics and features for everything model+trim level that had specific must-have (or really-want) features:
    • Cloth seats, or leather with ventilation
    • Power driver's seat (power front-passenger seat if possible)
    • Rear AC vent(s)
    • High safety rating
  • Visited to check comfort in person (sometimes drove if time and inclination):
    • Driver comfort, leg shoulder and hip room
    • Rear seat comfort
    • Ability to get in and out, front and rear, including not too high not too low (we have some family members with mobility issues)
    • Usability of the controls (knobs, buttons, switches, displays, etc.)
An amazing number of cars have been cramped (too little leg, shoulder, and hip room) contrary to what the specs say. Not sure why.

Still in the running are (in no particular order): Subaru Forester, Subaru Outback, Hyundai Tucson Hybrid, Genesis GV70 2.5T, Honda CR-V (not 2021, maybe hypothetical 2022 if they refresh), Acura RDX, Hyundai Santa Fe 2.5T, Lexus NX (probably not 2021, maybe 2022 if they refresh), and BMW X3, Audi Q5, MB GLC, Infiniti QX50, the last 4 having done no real research (so they're neither rejected nor in the running yet). This is obviously a mixed bag, some models with engines only in the 180-190HP range, and others >250HP. Some with MSRP just over C$40K, others with MSRP close or over C$60K. All the first 8 in that list are nice vehicles and I'd probably be happy with any of them. The Outback, Forester, Santa Fe, and Rogue are the clear winners for driver legroom, though the Rogue felt cramped overall. GV70 spec is really tight, it didn't feel as tight as the specs imply but still a bit crowded. But there's something that grabs my attention and keeps pulling me back. :)
Thanks for the in-depth response and the vehicle comparisons! Have you decided to move with the GV70 or are you leaning towards one of the other contenders? I opted to use the instalments and received a confirmation email with a reservation number however, I haven’t received any communication from Genesis as the promo indicates to move forward with the agreement of purchase.
I found the rear room to be decent with sufficient space however, this was in comparison to the G70(beautiful sedan but the rear is very cramped). I also had my eye on the Santa Fe but something about the GV70 keeps calling my name

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Has anyone moved forward with signing into an agreement for the GV70! Any update on the arrivals of 2.5?
Our dealer started test drives of GV70 2.5T on Aug 3 (Tuesday after the August long weekend; we drove it on Sat Aug 7). I think they started getting the pre-ordered vehicles in at the same time. AFAIK they have only 1 test 2.5T. It's a Prestige (top 2.5T trim), black with red interior. He said there's a backlog of pre-ordered to be delivered, but for some reason a few of the Prestige trim are floating around Canada unsold and could actually be bought. Don't know whether those are cancelled pre-orders or what.

Have you decided to move with the GV70 or are you leaning towards one of the other contenders? I opted to use the installments and received a confirmation email with a reservation number however, I haven’t received any communication from Genesis as the promo indicates to move forward with the agreement of purchase.

I found the rear room to be decent with sufficient space however, this was in comparison to the G70 (beautiful sedan but the rear is very cramped). I also had my eye on the Santa Fe but something about the GV70 keeps calling my name.
We actually put down the refundable $1000 yesterday to order one, no idea how long it will take. Our dealer had a list from a week ago, showing 7 of the 2.5T Prestige floating around the country and orderable. From memory, 5 were blue/red, 1 black/red, 1 black/blue. Too bad we want silver/red (we're leaning silver/red though black/red might be okay, have to wash it more often). Really like the red interior with black seats, wish we could get a better look at silver/red. At this trim level the seats aren't red (at least not in the black/red tester), though I think the quilted-leather seats are red all over.

We actually got a call from the dealer within a day or 2 of doing the TSC order. The deadline is tomorrow (technically Aug 15, which is Sunday) and I guess if you have confidence in your choices you could just go ahead and order one online. Or see if you can get in for a test drive on Aug 14. We went and visited the dealer yesterday, we had some questions about leasing, financing, protection plans, etc., confirmed we didn't want Adriatic Blue (though it's a beautiful colour) and went ahead and did the $1000 deposit/order with him. Could have done it myself. I believe that's enough for the TSC promo, he mentioned "and you've had a coupon code emailed" but I haven't, perhaps they track with the TSC order number. In the end, I'm looking on this like mail-in rebates -- good to have, and worth fighting for, but never make a purchase based solely on the MIR (or the TSC kickback). Having trouble planning a way to spend $1250 on Genesis accessories that doesn't involve buying winter tires for $2000+. Wasn't asked for that now anyway, and not sure when in the process I get the TSC gift card and Genesis credit. I assume when I take delivery, since I could in theory cancel the order when the car is delivered to the dealer weeks from now.

I also sat in a Santa Fe for the first time a week ago, didn't like it much. I'm actually more attracted to the new Tucson Ultimate Hybrid, I'm not convinced Hybrids are a net benefit to the environment, but that's a discussion for another thread. I liked the little extra HP and the little better fuel consumption, though the car is pretty small it feels cozy. I went into this expecting to buy a new Outback at a higher trim level, but I've really disliked the 11" touchscreen implementation since the day I saw it in late 2019 (when the 2020 6th-Gen arrived). The tech in the GV70, Tucson, Santa Fe, and so on, is also much more impressive (though it's also more stuff to go wrong). As you said, the GV70 is calling my name and is somewhat exciting to think about driving. For the Outback it's like "well it's newer and has a backup camera and a massive touchscreen with too few physical controls and too many fingerprints and would be higher trim level". Ho-hum. :(

We're actually thinking of leasing the GV70, it will cost more than buying it but we'll have some flexibility in a couple of years to keep it, or turn it in for either newer, or for something else like an Outback or a (totally hypothetical, just-my-wishlist, I haven't seen any real rumours) Forester with an upgraded engine (bigger turbo or hybrid). Only if we keep the GV70 can we say we paid more for the unused flexibility, I think of it as a call option to buy this specific vehicle at this specific price on this specific date. If I don't exercise the option, it's just an expense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Ottawa,
Congratulations! Silver/red sounds Lisa nice combo. Which trim level did you select? I have had an opportunity to test drive the 2.5T and bit the bullet today by putting down the $1000 deposit and like you chose to go with lease. The sales rep indicated that I could switch to financing if I changed my mind. Given that the deadline is so close my priority was to apply the deposit and then dedicate some time afterwards to go over the numbers.
In terms of the accessory package the sales rep stated they should be coming out with more options soon. So far like yourself only the tires, tint, floor mats and rear bumper protector are of interest to me. Hopefully they get an influx of vehicles coming in prior to the expected timeframe so that we can get our vehicles before Christmas!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks. Good job getting that test drive and order in. I'm not 100% certain the TSC wording allows for leasing to qualify, but I don't see how it could not qualify, and in any case I'm not sure what I can spend $1250 accessories credit on. Maybe $1250 worth of cargo liners, floor mats, etc., and resell. If we lease short-term, spending C$2200-C$2700 on a set of winter wheels doesn't make a lot of sense. I might have to, or else buy winter tires and actually swap them on the same rims. It will depend partly whether we get to go south this year, or if we spend winter in winter.

I went 2.5T Prestige, no good reason other than each trim level had features I wanted and none I actively didn't want (and going up from there gave me 21" wheels and even worse fuel consumption than the 2.5T engine; when we test drove the 3.5TT originally I hated the former and really didn't want the latter). Where did you land?

This is unlike (say) the Subaru Forester where I can't see anything I want in going from Limited to Premier (US=Touring), only C$1300 more but the changes are strictly cosmetic (including losing 3 colour choices, one of which is the silver I may have leaned toward). With the Subaru Outback, the same move from Limited to Premier (US=Touring) is C$1800 and includes some functional differences, some good and some bad (the former including power wing mirrors, ventilated front seats, and a front camera; the latter including losing 2 colour choices, a CD player taking up console space, and ugly [formerly hideously ugly -- it looks like they may actually have made it worse but that may have been a bad sample] colour on the leather seats).

With the GV70, it could partly be the relative lack of useful detailed specs on their websites, so maybe I'm giving up things I want, or gaining things I really don't want (but just don't know it), but at each of the 3 trim upgrades in the Canadian 2.5T, I see at least 2 things I want and nothing I would consider rejecting for (vs the Outback where I was debating Limited vs Premier because the Premier had negatives). One of my earlier posts upthread listed the key feature additions that attracted me to each upgrade, though whether I'd truly want to pay what they cost was a separate consideration. Even going from Advanced Plus to Prestige, I want that seat cushion extension and the smart parking. I could not believe what a difference the seat cushion made when I first encountered it sitting (not even test driving) a high-end Outback. On the Outback, it's a manual thing that leaves a gap between extended cushion and main seat (on GV70 it's power and kind of unrolls from the front of the seat). On long drives it's going to make a huge difference, if we ever make a long drive again. And while most reviewers dismiss the smart parking (forward-back, not parallel) as a "party trick" on various Hyundai and Genesis vehicles that have it, earlier in 2021 we actually could have used it. We parked outside Canadian Tire and someone came shortly after, parked so close to us we literally couldn't open the door. It might not be worth C$4000 just for that (okay, definitely not) but we also have one occasional driver who uses a walker. Sometimes I'll let that person out before I finish pulling into a parking space, but there's some painful contortions when they are the driver and have to get the walker into the back seat or trunk, and themselves into the driver's seat, while parked in a regular space (if no accessible space available). When needed, they could stow the walker then smart-park the car forward to get in the driver's seat (and v/v). I have no idea what the "sport styling" is (cf. comment about lack of info on Genesis websites) other than alloy pedals but I don't care. We liked the red interior (the seats are supposed to be black with red stitching, not the red quilted look) and will live with the limited colour choices at this level.

If delivery takes long enough, we might end up having to decline delivery, lose the TSC kickback, and wait for spring. That could happen whether we go south or not, either we could already be gone, or not want to lease a new very expensive vehicle in the dead of winter. I hope that doesn't happen, I am getting excited at the thought of having something new (hopefully GV70).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting to hear post from the above....

I also placed my order of an advanced plus approximately ~3 weeks ago. I ordered soon after test drove the 2.5T along with the "strange" promo from tsc (thanks as I randomly found this from the forum!). My GXM had no clue about the promo and he needs to ask Genesis Canada for all the details.

long story short, once I placed the order, my GXM need to send the order to Genesis Canada and someone from the corporate has the ability to credit the $1250 as accessories credit.

Now the biggest unknown is they can't provide me any information about delivery date. Not only that my GXM had no preview of what's available in terms of incoming stock of the 2.5T (they do have a list of incoming 3.5T for over a month). I guess there's very little inventory of 2.5T currently coming into Canada (I know there's steady streams of 2.5 in US right now). I really hope I am wrong but I don't expect to see my car will come earlier than October.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks. Good job getting that test drive and order in. I'm not 100% certain the TSC wording allows for leasing to qualify, but I don't see how it could not qualify, and in any case I'm not sure what I can spend $1250 accessories credit on. Maybe $1250 worth of cargo liners, floor mats, etc., and resell. If we lease short-term, spending C$2200-C$2700 on a set of winter wheels doesn't make a lot of sense. I might have to, or else buy winter tires and actually swap them on the same rims. It will depend partly whether we get to go south this year, or if we spend winter in winter.

I went 2.5T Prestige, no good reason other than each trim level had features I wanted and none I actively didn't want (and going up from there gave me 21" wheels and even worse fuel consumption than the 2.5T engine; when we test drove the 3.5TT originally I hated the former and really didn't want the latter). Where did you land?

This is unlike (say) the Subaru Forester where I can't see anything I want in going from Limited to Premier (US=Touring), only C$1300 more but the changes are strictly cosmetic (including losing 3 colour choices, one of which is the silver I may have leaned toward). With the Subaru Outback, the same move from Limited to Premier (US=Touring) is C$1800 and includes some functional differences, some good and some bad (the former including power wing mirrors, ventilated front seats, and a front camera; the latter including losing 2 colour choices, a CD player taking up console space, and ugly [formerly hideously ugly -- it looks like they may actually have made it worse but that may have been a bad sample] colour on the leather seats).

With the GV70, it could partly be the relative lack of useful detailed specs on their websites, so maybe I'm giving up things I want, or gaining things I really don't want (but just don't know it), but at each of the 3 trim upgrades in the Canadian 2.5T, I see at least 2 things I want and nothing I would consider rejecting for (vs the Outback where I was debating Limited vs Premier because the Premier had negatives). One of my earlier posts upthread listed the key feature additions that attracted me to each upgrade, though whether I'd truly want to pay what they cost was a separate consideration. Even going from Advanced Plus to Prestige, I want that seat cushion extension and the smart parking. I could not believe what a difference the seat cushion made when I first encountered it sitting (not even test driving) a high-end Outback. On the Outback, it's a manual thing that leaves a gap between extended cushion and main seat (on GV70 it's power and kind of unrolls from the front of the seat). On long drives it's going to make a huge difference, if we ever make a long drive again. And while most reviewers dismiss the smart parking (forward-back, not parallel) as a "party trick" on various Hyundai and Genesis vehicles that have it, earlier in 2021 we actually could have used it. We parked outside Canadian Tire and someone came shortly after, parked so close to us we literally couldn't open the door. It might not be worth C$4000 just for that (okay, definitely not) but we also have one occasional driver who uses a walker. Sometimes I'll let that person out before I finish pulling into a parking space, but there's some painful contortions when they are the driver and have to get the walker into the back seat or trunk, and themselves into the driver's seat, while parked in a regular space (if no accessible space available). When needed, they could stow the walker then smart-park the car forward to get in the driver's seat (and v/v). I have no idea what the "sport styling" is (cf. comment about lack of info on Genesis websites) other than alloy pedals but I don't care. We liked the red interior (the seats are supposed to be black with red stitching, not the red quilted look) and will live with the limited colour choices at this level.

If delivery takes long enough, we might end up having to decline delivery, lose the TSC kickback, and wait for spring. That could happen whether we go south or not, either we could already be gone, or not want to lease a new very expensive vehicle in the dead of winter. I hope that doesn't happen, I am getting excited at the thought of having something new (hopefully GV70).
Yes I’m glad I placed my order.. now the waiting game begins. My sales rep seemed to think that eligibility for the TSC offer applied to either finance or lease. What term did you go with( 48 or 60 months?) I provided the $1000 deposit and am considering whether to put more down upon delivery however, given this will be my first time leasing I don’t know if it’s sensible or not. I teetered between the Advanced/Advanced Plus trim and went with white on Havana brown interior in Advanced Plus solely for the surround views and blind spot view monitors.. the HUD is also a nice optiom. I must say there clever I’m how they’ve arranged the trim packages as there’s something in each package that I found were a nice to have that would take me over my budget. The Prestige is a nice trim however, I was t sure how the upkeep or Lo he out of suede I’m a vehicle would be. Although I vowed not to purchase an expensive vehicle the GV70 has taken me out of my comfy zone and I’m eagerly excited as you yo drive it. I seen two Genesis vehicles on my way to the dealership and another Genesis on the road when I left.. I’m taking that as a sign that I made the right choice on the vehicle selection. Your insight has been so helpful! Please keep me updated if you hear any new information and advances to our beloved GV70!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting to hear post from the above....

I also placed my order of an advanced plus approximately ~3 weeks ago. I ordered soon after test drove the 2.5T along with the "strange" promo from tsc (thanks as I randomly found this from the forum!). My GXM had no clue about the promo and he needs to ask Genesis Canada for all the details.

long story short, once I placed the order, my GXM need to send the order to Genesis Canada and someone from the corporate has the ability to credit the $1250 as accessories credit.

Now the biggest unknown is they can't provide me any information about delivery date. Not only that my GXM had no preview of what's available in terms of incoming stock of the 2.5T (they do have a list of incoming 3.5T for over a month). I guess there's very little inventory of 2.5T currently coming into Canada (I know there's steady streams of 2.5 in US right now). I really hope I am wrong but I don't expect to see my car will come earlier than October.
Hi WishingWind! What colour selection did you get in the Advanced Plus and why did you decide to go with that trim over Advanced or the other trims? From what I recall, there were a few 2.5TT select and 3.5T sport plus available in Ontario. My sales rep informed me of them when I placed my order however the colours(Barossa Burgundy and Green) and trims were not what I was looking for. I believe the issue with delivery dates is due to COVID and the freight ships being delayed. Depending on how soon you need the vehicle you may need to start looking at alternatives.
I’m hoping they come out with some additional accessories and/or inventives prior to my vehicle being delivered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dodd,

I went for the Savile Silver with the Velvet Burgundy interior. I think our advanced trim is pretty adequate but since I am paying so much already so might as well go a bit more for the Advanced pls (Lexicon, HUD, surround view and BVCam etc). I wasn't a big fan with the options in the Prestige trim... the only option I really like is the extensible thigh cushion.

I also heard there's a few 3.5T SP available.... but I live in the GTA so I don't need 400lb-of torque and stuck in the hwy 401 (also gas price is going to roof...). Btw, I drove many car over the past year and I have say HDA-II is among the best semi-autonomous highway cruiser in the market.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered soon after test drove the 2.5T along with the "strange" promo from TSC (thanks as I randomly found this from the forum!). My GXM had no clue about the promo and he needs to ask Genesis Canada for all the details.
Glad to hear that worked out for you. :) I thought it could be TSC kicking back part of their commission (the way eBates, GCR, TCB, AirMilesShops, and the rest, give you some kickback in return for linking through them). But this is pretty high-ticket (just a little) so they should know. My GXM said TSC launched a week early, so they (dealers) didn't have the details, walked in on a Saturday, and had a long list of potential customers to call. He knows we're going through TSC (he called me), and that we did our first test drive before the TSC promo.

Seriously, it's hard to see $1250 in accessories I'd want, without buying winter tires/wheels. And everything on TSC is overpriced, so I figure this combined $2000 is really worth about $1000. Still better than nothing. :)

I gave in my $1000, he checked that nothing's floating around the country that meets my specs, and has placed an order. We didn't do anything with the TSC yet.

Yeah, when we drove the 2.5T (tester happens to be Prestige) mine said there were a few Prestige available but no other 2.5T. Presumably those were early pre-orders that people declined. Later he had a week-old list of 7 2.5T Prestige, none matching my criteria, and a few days later confirmed the current number is 0. So I'm ordered and he says he'll keep an eye out for my exact specs. Complete guesswork as to when it will turn up (and I guess even if a pre-orderer rejects my exact vehicle, first call would go to someone who ordered before me). I've read they (all of them) don't typically build one for you, they just put your name on the next one in the queue that meets your specs. Not sure if that's ironclad.
Also hoping earlier than October, but that's only 6-10 weeks which feels pretty short (I think of custom furniture that can take 16 weeks, even from a big mainstream company like La-Zed-Boy).

What term did you go with( 48 or 60 months?) I provided the $1000 deposit and am considering whether to put more down upon delivery however, given this will be my first time leasing I don’t know if it’s sensible or not.
I went 24 months (thus my hesitancy to buy winter tires, if we go somewhere warm for winter), though I think that can be changed later (before delivery). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, with a lease you're simply "financing" some portion of the purchase price, with an agreement either to buy the vehicle for a predetermined price, or to walk away. So as with any loan, the more you put down the less you should be paying in interest (note that in Canada leases are quoted as an interest rate, while in US they're quoted as a "money factor" and equivalent interest rate (2400x money factor), not sure why other than "that's how we do it"). I tried to test this by using the Genesis lease calculator, but it returned a higher total cost with $10K down than with $1K down. I must be doing something wrong. I would have thought the residual would be the same either way, but maybe I just don't understand.

Residual value (buy-out) is guesswork by the seller I suppose, in this case the GXM told me after 24mo the residual is 67% of the purchase price. In effect on a 24mo lease, I'm financing 33% of the purchase price. Interest rate is 3.40% instead of 2.90% on finance. So I'm paying extra on a lease (vs 2.90% on finance, or vs paying cash and losing interest, if that were an option). But leasing gives me the flexibility to walk away after 2 years without having to sell a used car. I would probably do that if it turns out that GV70s are only worth 55%* after 2 years (cheaper to buy a used one at 55% instead of keeping at 67%), or if I really dislike the GV70 (comfort, gas cost, etc.), or if there's something newer and more exciting out there.

[*this is really unlikely in my mind, but I'm picking an extreme case]

In terms of putting more down, I posted just above that I tested it and got weird results. I don't see how putting more down would increase the cost, unless it's affecting the residual too.

I must say they're clever in how they’ve arranged the trim packages as there’s something in each package that I found were a nice to have that would take me over my budget.
I found that too, unlike (say) Subaru Forester where there's nothing I'd want in top trim (admittedly only C$1300 more than 2nd). Outback has a few things but it's a tradeoff. Only tradeoff with top Genesis is the suede seats and how they'll feel and hold up. That and the cost. :) But I really really want that F-R self-parking feature, and the seat extension too (which I get in 2nd tier Outback and not at all in Forester, as I recall). I'm trying really hard not to pay attention to the cost, 2 cars ago was expensive (not this expensive though :) ). and last car was cheap (should have gone 1 trim up). So I figure this and the last one will average out okay. :)

From what I recall, there were a few 2.5TT select and 3.5T sport plus available in Ontario.
Mine told me there are no 2.5T, but he may have meant my trim. The list he had (that was a week old) was apparently 7 of the Prestige unsold IN THE COUNTRY. (Now 0, since he can't even offer me colours I didn't want).

the only option I really like is the extensible thigh cushion.
I just want that and the parking. I'm not sure what the "sport appearance" represents other than alloy pedals. But apparently our seats have massage feature, not documented on the website. GXM said he was surprised when the tester showed up with it.

Looking forward to this. Have to stop focussing because it's going to be a while, I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts