Genesis GV70 Forum & GV80 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone knows whether Genesis has remedied this huge oversight on the 2021 GV80 and has added wireless Apple CarPlay to the 2022 model? Can't seem to find info about it anywhere.

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My understanding is that the ‘22 is still wired CarPlay. I’m curious about whether, technically, the 2021 GV80 could be reprogrammed with a software update to activate wireless CarPlay or whether it can only be done with additional hardware. I know there are aftermarket equipment kits available but I don’t know if they just operate as a work around to bypass the wireless connection gap. I don’t know if it’s a corporate contract issue between Genesis and Apple or what the real reason is for the lack of full wireless integration. It does not make any sense to me since my older cars, luxury and non luxury, have all had instant wireless connection between iPhone car without even removing the phone from my pocket. All my phone’s contact information, including addresses, would load onto the car in seconds. Currently, only my phone numbers instantly wirelessly download to the car. There is no way to get my 500 iPhone addresses to sync wirelessly while still using the Genesis’ own NAV factory screen. I have asked four employees at Genesis local service and Genesis corporate customer service and no one could answer my question. They say I have to manually type in each address individually to get each address from my phone contact list to the GV80. Wired CarPlay connects to my iPhone addresses but then I can’t use, what I consider the more beautiful Genesis NAV Map screen. I don’t want to look at the minimalist inferior iPhone Map screen on my 14.5” screen. Unfortunately I don’t understand the real nature of this problem and have not gotten answers that solved or explained the problem from anyone at Genesis. Frustrating and perplexing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My understanding is that the ‘22 is still wired CarPlay. I’m curious about whether, technically, the 2021 GV80 could be reprogrammed with a software update to activate wireless CarPlay or whether it can only be done with additional hardware. I know there are aftermarket equipment kits available but I don’t know if they just operate as a work around to bypass the wireless connection gap. I don’t know if it’s a corporate contract issue between Genesis and Apple or what the real reason is for the lack of full wireless integration. It does not make any sense to me since my older cars, luxury and non luxury, have all had instant wireless connection between iPhone car without even removing the phone from my pocket. All my phone’s contact information, including addresses, would load onto the car in seconds. Currently, only my phone numbers instantly wirelessly download to the car. There is no way to get my 500 iPhone addresses to sync wirelessly while still using the Genesis’ own NAV factory screen. I have asked four employees at Genesis local service and Genesis corporate customer service and no one could answer my question. They say I have to manually type in each address individually to get each address from my phone contact list to the GV80. Wired CarPlay connects to my iPhone addresses but then I can’t use, what I consider the more beautiful Genesis NAV Map screen. I don’t want to look at the minimalist inferior iPhone Map screen on my 14.5” screen. Unfortunately I don’t understand the real nature of this problem and have not gotten answers that solved or explained the problem from anyone at Genesis. Frustrating and perplexing.
Totally agree and have same issue. I rented an average car and it had wireless ACP. Seems like there should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I doubt there will be a software update to allow this. The reason there is no wireless car play, is there is no actual wireless network in the GV80 and Bluetooth is too slow for car play to function properly. There are a lot of 3rd party options though. You can get a dongle that plugs into the "data" port and will allow wireless car play. Personally, I bought the one from Crutchfield and it works fine

·
Registered
44 Posts
I doubt there will be a software update to allow this. The reason there is no wireless car play, is there is no actual wireless network in the GV80 and Bluetooth is too slow for car play to function properly. There are a lot of 3rd party options though. You can get a dongle that plugs into the "data" port and will allow wireless car play. Personally, I bought the one from Crutchfield and it works fine
Thanks for the suggestion. I happen to like Crutchfield very much. They have excellent service and return policy. I didn’t check yet if they have more than one brand. If so what model did you get to accomplish the Apple CarPlay?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I happen to like Crutchfield very much. They have excellent service and return policy. I didn’t check yet if they have more than one brand. If so what model did you get to accomplish the Apple CarPlay?
I have also used this one too and it works great. Amazon.com

I couldn't agree more about Crutchfield, they are the best. The brand is Crux. I think it's the only one they carry, or at least it was when I bought it. CRUX ACP-WL Wireless Apple CarPlay® Interface

1 - 7 of 7 Posts